|PLAYED AT BSU||1948-1951|
A native of Walker, Minnesota, Ed served in the U.S. Army for three years during World War II, where he was decorated with the Purple Heart with Cluster and the Bronze Star with Cluster, prior to becoming a Bemidji State student. Ed completed his bachelor's degree in industrial arts and social studies. He lettered in football three years as a defensive and special teams player, and was a nominee for the most valuable player in 1949 and 1950. Ed also was a student manager for basketball for two years. He was one of the six BSTC students that started the Pep Club. He coached football and basketball for two years in Lander, Wyoming, where he also set up the first JV football team and started the first women's basketball team. He then taught at Pershing High School in Detroit, Michigan, from 1953-57and from 1957 until his retirement in 1985 in the School of Science, Industry and Technology at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. He was active in the UW-Stout Faculty Senate for 19 years and served as the chairman one year and served on several committees over the years. Ed was also active in community organizations, Boy Scouts, and his church.