This Week: The Bemidji State University baseball team hosts Wayne State College March 21-22 to open its home and Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference schedule. Doubleheaders are slated for both days at 12 p.m. at the BSU Baseball Field. The Wildcats come into Bemidji as the reigning regular-season NSIC champions.
About Bemidji State: The Beavers are sporting a 9-8 record this season, playing 16 of their 17 games at the H.H.H. Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minn. Last week, BSU was rained out of most of its spring break trip in Kansas and Arkansas, playing just one nine inning game against Arkansas Tech University. The Beavers lost 8-1, earning just two hits in the game.
• The game Sunday it will mark the earliest start in 58 years of BSU Baseball. The earliest the Beavers have ever played was March 27, 2007 when they battled Minnesota Duluth in a nonconference game, losing 8-1. BSU has hosted 10 games in March all-time and stands 3-7 in those contests.
• BSU’s 9-8 record is the best 17-game start since 2002 when that squad posted an 11-6 mark.
• Under head coach Tim Bellew, the Beavers are 1-15 all-time against Wayne State, 0-8 at home.
• Junior Nick Jelacie is on a four-game hitting streak.
About Wayne State College: The reigning NSIC regular-season champions are 4-10 this season, dropping its last five contests. Three of the Wildcat wins are against NSIC members Upper Iowa University (2) and Winona State University at the H.H.H. Metrodome. Junior Nick Bidroski leads the team in batting average at a .457 clip. His 16 hits and nine RBI are tied for the lead on the Wildcats. Four different pitchers have earned wins for WSC. Sophomore Austen Wisroth is 1-2 in three starts, posting a 3.18 ERA and a team-high 21 strikeouts.
Last Action: Last season in Wayne, Neb., the Wildcats downed BSU in all four games of the conference weekend, winning 8-1, 9-4, 5-1 and 5-3.
Outdoor Baseball in March...in Bemidji!?: The Beavers have played 10 home games in March in their 57 years of existence, posting a 3-7 mark in the contests.
Date Opponent Result
March 27, 2007 Minnesota Duluth L, 8-1
March 27, 2007 Minnesota Duluth L, 2-1
March 28, 1993 Valley City State L, 11-3
March 28, 1993 Valley City State W, 7-6
March 29, 1992 North Dakota W, 15-9
March 29, 1992 North Dakota W, 7-4
March 30, 1999 Minnesota, Crookston * L, 15-8
March 30, 1999 Minnesota, Crookston * L , 9-4
March 30, 2008 Concordia-St. Paul * L, 20-3
March 30, 2008 Concordia-St. Paul * L, 3-2
* Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference games
! All seven inning contests