BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State baseball team has added a nonconference doubleheader with Jamestown College April 27 at the BSU Baseball Field starting at noon. Both games of the doubleheader will be seven inning contests.
Beavers travel to Upper Iowa for NSIC four-game series
This Week: The Bemidji State University baseball team travels to Fayette, Iowa to battle Upper Iowa University in a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference four-game series April 10-11. Saturday’s doubleheader is set to begin at 1 p.m. and Sunday at 12 p.m. start.
About Bemidji State: The Beavers are 12-19 overall and 3-11 in the NSIC. BSU split with Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, Minn. in its last action that opened the conference road schedule for Bemidji State. The Beavers won the first game 8-4 before falling in game two 8-0. In game one, the six through nine hitters in the line-up combined for six of the 11 hits, five of the seven RBI and two of the eight runs in the win. The Beavers were down 4-2 entering the sixth inning, but produced a run in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings before putting a three-spot on the board in the ninth to earn the road victory. BSU entered the game winless (0-18) when trailing after the sixth inning. The three runs in the ninth were the first for the Beavers this season in five games where a ninth inning was played. BSU improved to 8-2 in 2010 when holding its opponents under four runs. The game two loss was the second time the Beavers have been shut-out this season.
• BSU got to 10 wins on its 19th game of the season, which is the fastest under head coach Tim Bellew and the since the 2002 squad posted its 10th victory in the 15th contest.
• Under Bellew, the Beavers are 5-13 against Upper Iowa, with a 3-9 record at UIU.
• The Beavers are 9-0 when leading after the sixth inning, but are 1-19 when trailing after six.
• BSU is 62nd in the nation in fielding percentage at a .959 mark, according to the national ranking summary released April 4.
• Junior Ryan Sander returned to the BSU line-up April 2 against WSU after missing eight games due to injury. Since then he is 9-for-21 (.429) with five RBI and four runs scored.
• Freshman Logan Kalis is on a team-high five-game hitting streak. During that time he is 7-for-16 (.438) with five runs and four RBI.
• Senior Josh Silvernagel earned a hit in BSU’s first 11 conference games, ending the team’s season-long streak in game two against WSU April 3. During that streak, Silvernagel went 16-for-39 (.410) with 10 RBI and six runs, adding five extra-base hits (3 2B and 2 HR).
About Upper Iowa: The Peacocks are 8-13 overall and 5-5 in NSIC play after falling twice in a conference doubleheader with Winona State University April 7. UIU has four wins against University of Minnesota, Crookston and went 1-3 against Minnesota State University, Mankato earlier this season. Senior Tom Longoni leads the team in batting average at a .405 clip, runs with 23 and hits with 30. Junior Josh McKeon is 3-0 this season with a 1.73 ERA. He has pitched a team-high 26.0 innings, allowing just eight runs, while fanning 26 batters.
Last Action: Last season the Beavers went 2-2 against Upper Iowa. All four games were played in Fayette. BSU lost the two games by scores of 9-0 and 12-4, while winning 5-3 and 13-6.
Outdoor Baseball in March...in Bemidji!?: The games March 21 marked the earliest start at home in 58 years of BSU Baseball. The earliest the Beavers had ever played was March 27, 2007 when they battled Minnesota Duluth in a nonconference game, losing 8-1. BSU has now hosted 18 games in March all-time and stands 4-14 in those contests.
Date Opponent Result
March 21, 2010 Wayne State * L, 15-2 (7)! / W, 7-6
March 22, 2010 Wayne State * L, 11-9! / L, 19-2
March 27, 2010 Augustana * L, 15-8! / L, 14-7
March 27, 2007 Minnesota Duluth L, 8-1 / L, 2-1 March 28, 2010 Augustana * L, 12-5! / L, 19-5
March 28, 1993 Valley City State L, 11-3 / W, 7-6
March 29, 1992 North Dakota W, 15-9 / W, 7-4
March 30, 1999 Minnesota, Crookston * L, 15-8 / L, 9-4
March 30, 2008 Concordia-St. Paul * L, 20-3 / L, 3-2
* Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference games
BOLD - 2010 season
! Previous to the 2010 season, the NSIC changed the first game of conference doubleheaders to nine innings. The league also implemented a 10-run rule after seven innings in those games.