This Week: The Bemidji State University baseball team hosts Southwest Minnesota State University today for a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference doubleheader at the BSU Baseball Field with the first pitch slated for 2 p.m.
About Bemidji State: The Beavers are 13-22 overall and 4-14 in the NSIC to sit 11th. BSU split with Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, Minn. last Wednesday that opened the conference road schedule for Bemidji State. The Beavers then went on to Fayette, Iowa to battle the Upper Iowa University Peacocks in a four-game series. The Beavers lost the first three games of the set, falling by two in the first day’s action, 5-3 and 11-9. On day two, BSU suffered its third shutout of the season in game one 8-0 before rallying back with three runs in the top of the seventh inning of game two for a 6-5 victory. The Beavers scored all three runs while being down to their last out.
• In the 13 wins by the Beavers this season, the team has committed just nine errors, posting eight victories with zero errors. The win gives the Beavers a 2-19 record when trailing after six innings. BSU is 9-0 when leading after six frames.
• BSU got to 10 wins on its 19th game of the season, which is the fastest under head coach Tim Bellew and the since the 2002 squad posted its 10th victory in the 15th contest.
• Under Bellew, the Beavers are 4-10 against SMSU, with a 0-6 record at home versus the Mustangs.
• BSU is 67th in the nation in fielding percentage at a .959 mark, according to the national ranking summary released April 11. The Beavers are 82nd in doubles per game with 0.77 per contest.
• Junior Ryan Sander returned to the BSU line-up April 2 against WSU after missing eight games due to injury. Since then he has recorded a hit in eight of 10 games.
• Senior Josh Silvernagel earned a hit in BSU’s first 11 conference games, ending the team’s season-long streak in game two against WSU April 3. After a three game lull, he is now on a four-game hitting streak. In conference play Silvernagel is .349 (22-of-63) with 13 RBI and 12 runs.
About Southwest Minnesota State: The Mustangs are 13-11 overall and 9-5 in conference play it sit in a tie for fifth in the conference standings. Since splitting with BSU April 7, SMSU swept a four-game set at University of Minnesota, Crookston. The Mustangs outscored the Golden Eagles 41-14. SMSU owns a 5-3 road record this season. Leading SMSU in batting average is Cody Curry at a .536 clip. Adam Schrader is 3-3 this season with a 2.62 ERA in 34.1 innings pitched with a team-high 27 strikeouts.
Last Action: The Beavers and Mustangs battled in Marshall, Minn. last Wednesday, splitting a conference doubleheader that opened NSIC road play for BSU. The Beavers took game one 8-4 before falling in game two 8-0.