This Week: The Bemidji State University baseball team hits the road to University of Minnesota Duluth April 17-18. A four-game series is scheduled with a doubleheader each day. Saturday’s twin-bill is slated for 1:30 p.m., while Sunday’s first pitch is set for 12 p.m.
About Bemidji State: The Beavers are 13-24 overall and 4-16 in the NSIC to sit 11th. BSU dropped a home doubleheader with Southwest Minnesota State University Wednesday. The Beavers fell 14-8 and 12-4 in the two games. BSU had a 8-7 lead heading into the top of the eighth inning of game one, but the Mustangs put a four-spot on the board to own a three-run lead after seven and a half. BSU went down in order in the eighth and then SMSU posted three more runs in the ninth to take a 14-8 advantage. The Mustangs had a 9-1 lead after four innings in game two, en route to the eight-run victory. SMSU hit 10 homeruns in the doubleheader. BSU has allowed 37 long balls at home this season, while hitting 17 of its own.
• The game one loss Wednesday gives the Beavers a 9-1 record when leading after six frames.
• In the 13 wins by the Beavers this season, the team has committed just nine errors, posting eight victories with zero errors.
• BSU got to 10 wins on its 19th game of the season, which is the fastest under head coach Tim Bellew and the since the 2002 squad posted its 10th victory in the 15th contest.
• Under Bellew, the Beavers are 3-11 against UMD, with a 0-4 record on the road versus the Bulldogs.
• BSU is 67th in the nation in fielding percentage at a .959 mark, according to the national ranking summary released April 11. The Beavers are 82nd in doubles per game with 0.77 per contest.
• Junior Ryan Sander returned to the BSU line-up April 2 against WSU after missing eight games due to injury. Since then he has recorded a hit in nine of 12 games.
• Senior Josh Silvernagel earned a hit in BSU’s first 11 conference games, ending the team’s season-long streak in game two against WSU April 3. In conference play, he is 24-of-72 (.333).
• Junior Dan Bauer is on a team and personal-high five game hitting streak. During the streak he is 8-for-18 (.444) with six runs, five RBI, two walks and zero strikeouts.
About Minnesota Duluth: The Bulldogs are 20-16 overall with a 8-8 conference home record that places them in a tie with Upper Iowa University in the league rankings. UMD owns a 4-4 home record. The Bulldogs split at Minnesota State University, Mankato in their last action Thursday, losing game one 7-1 before bouncing back for a 3-1 win in game two. Tyler Erickson has played in all 36 games for UMD, posting a team-high .396 batting average and leading the squad in hits (53) and runs (44). Anders Engberg has a 3-2 record in six starts with a 4.30 ERA. Eric Hummel has appeared in 11 games, starting one, with a 3-0 record his ERA is 3.55.
Last Action: The Bulldogs took three of four from BSU last season in Bemidji. The Beavers won game one 13-2, before falling 13-5, 13-2 and 4-0.