This Week: The Bemidji State University baseball team travels to Wayne State College March 19-20 for a four-game nonconference series. Both doubleheaders are set for a 12 p.m. first pitch.
Multimedia: Live Stats at WSC- http://www.wsc.edu/athletics/mediastats/baseball/xlive.htm
About Bemidji State: The Beavers are 5-3 after starting the season at the RussMatt Greater Phoenix Invitational March 8-13 in Phoenix, Ariz. Seventeen newcomers got their first action in the green and white, performing well. BSU added six transfers and 11 true freshmen to the squad, hoping to improve on a 2010 16-37 overall and 7-25 NSIC record. BSU opened with a 6-2 loss to Northwestern (Iowa), but rebounded on day two with victories against Indiana Wesleyan (9-1) and Arizona Christian University (10-8 in 11 innings). Malone University (Ohio) stole a doubleheader from the Beavers on day three, winning 6-2 and 9-6. BSU closed its spring trip with three consecutive victories. The first two came against future-NSIC foes-Minot State University in a doubleheader with scores of 12-4 and 7-0. The trip closed with a 11-6 win against Valley City State.
About Wayne State: The Wildcats are 4-6 this season and winners of their last two games. WSC is led at the plate by junior outfielder Mike Bisenius’ .457 average. He has 16 hits, 10 RBI and 24 total bases with a .686 slugging percentage. Junior right-hander Austen Wisroth is 2-1 with a 4.15 ERA, throwing 17.1 innings for the Wildcats. He has allowed 11 runs (eight earned) on 20 hits. Senior righty Reid Lancaster is the reigning NSIC Pitcher of the Week .
Last Action: Last season the Beavers hosted Wayne State in a four-game conference series at the BSU Baseball Field. BSU went 1-3 in the series, winning game two of the four-game set 7-6. The Beavers were outscored 51-20 on the weekend.
• The Beavers are on a three-game winning streak, outscoring their opponent 26-14 in those games.
• BSU shut-out Minot State 7-0 March 11, blanking its first opponent since the 2010 season opener in a 7-0 victory against University of Minnesota, Crookston.
• The Beavers are batting .353 as a team to start the season. They own a .960 fielding percentage, committing just 11 errors in 64 innings in the field. The team ERA sits at 4.78.
• BSU combined for five triples in its first eight games, last season the team posted just eight three-baggers.
• Sophomore Phil Bray had the most impressive outing on the mound for BSU at the Invitational, throwing a complete game shutout against Minot State. He allowed just three hits and fanned four batters.
• Senior Nick Jelacie is on a team-high seven-game hitting streak. Newcomer junior Juan Molero is on a six-game hitting streak.
• Freshman Dylan Webb leads BSU in batting (at least 2.0 TPA/game) with a .500 batting average. He is 9-for-18 from the plate with five RBI and nine total bases.
• Senior Colton Smith has 11 hits, six of which are doubles to lead the team in both categories. He is batting .379 with a team-best seven RBI.
• Smith and Jelacie each have seven runs, a team-high.
NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll: The BSU baseball team was tabbed 11th in the NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll, released by league officials Jan. 19. The Beavers received 55 votes after closing the 2010 season with a 16-37 overall record and a 7-25 mark in NSIC play, finishing 11th in the final league standings. Seniors Colton Smith (3B/OF, Waddell, Ariz.) and Ryan Sander (RHP/1B, St. James, Minn.) were tabbed Bemidji State’s Players to Watch.