BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team (3-7, 0-0 NSIC) continues nonconference play March 23-25 when it travels south to Missouri and Kansas. The Beavers plan to get five games in against Avila University (March 23), Rockhurst University (DH, March 24) and Kansas Wesleyan University (DH, March 25).
About Bemidji State
Bemidji State went 3-7 on its spring trip to Tucson, Ariz. March 8-15. After starting 3-1, the Beavers suffered six straight losses. In the first four games, BSU outscored its opponent 30-15, but in the six losses, was outscored 64-24. The Beavers lost all six games to fellow Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference teams in St. Cloud State (18-9), Southwest Minnesota State (4-2, 5-0), Northern State (5-0, 12-1) and Concordia-St. Paul (20-3 (7)). Senior Cole Bjorge leads the team in batting with a .387 average, while junior Tyler Saeugling owns a 1-1 record on the mound with a 4.35 ERA.
Last Time Versus Opponents
• Bemidji State has never played Avila.
• The Beavers have battled Rockhurst only twice in their history. BSU and Rockhurst played a doubleheader at the H.H.H. Metrodome in Minneapolis Feb. 6, 2010. Bemidji State lost 6-2 and 5-4.
• BSU has never played Kansas Wesleyan.
• Head coach Tim Bellew spent 11 seasons as skipper at Kansas Wesleyan, where he won two National Small-College Athletics Association National Championships, before taking the reins of the Bemidji State baseball program in the fall of 2005.
• BSU is 3-2 when leading after the third inning, but have been outscored 32-25 in the first three frames this season.
• The Beavers are 0-6 when trailing after the sixth inning and haven’t scored a run in the seventh, while allowing seven runs to score.
• Senior Zach Braun was named NSIC Player of the Week March 10 after he guided BSU to a 3-1 start by batting .538 with nine RBIs, five runs scored and three home runs. He posted 1.231 slugging and .667 on-base percentages.
• Sophomores Tyler Nelson and Joey Hanowski have each recorded a team season-long hitting streak of six games.
• Senior Cole Bjorge owns a team-best five multi-hit games, while Braun is the leader in multi-RBI contests with four.
NSIC Preseason Poll
The Beavers finished 13-13 in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play in 2013 to finish eighth and return to the conference tournament for the first time since 2008. Jan. 29, the Beavers were pegged to finish ninth in the 2014 Preseason Baseball Coaches’ Poll. BSU earned 92 points, as sixth through ninth in the poll were separated by 25 points.
Seniors Zach Braun (C, Lakeville, Minn.) and Miles Campbell (RHP, Eden Prairie, Minn.) were named BSU’s Players to Watch.
For more information on the Bemidji State baseball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Mulitmedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).