BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team (6-7, 0-0 NSIC) turns its attention to Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play March 29-30 when it travels to Upper Iowa University for a four-game series. Saturday’s doubleheader is scheduled for a 1 p.m. start, while first pitch Sunday is slated for 12 p.m.
About Bemidji State:
• The Beavers have won three straight games after losing the previous six.
• BSU downed Avila University 10-3 March 23 before sweeping a doubleheader at Kansas Wesleyan 4-1 and 4-3 (8 innings).
• Senior outfielder Cole Bjorge leads a group of four players batting .300 or better, as he owns a .366 average.
• Senior catcher Zach Braun is batting .341 and has totaled a team-best 18 RBIs, which stands tied for fifth in the NSIC. His .591 slugging percentage is ninth in the league.
• On the bump, junior Tyler Saeugling owns a 2-1 record and 3.72 ERA in 19.1 innings pitched. He has allowed 10 runs (eight earned) on 20 hits. Saeugling has fanned 14 batters, while issuing just four walks.
• Bemidji State has 22 newcomers this season and just four starters returning from last season’s 25-22 season.
About Upper Iowa:
• The Peacocks are 7-6, but lost their last two games, which were March 14.
• UIU owns a .317 batting average to rank 28th nationally and fifth in the NSIC.
• Upper Iowa has recorded a 6.22 ERA and allowed 85 runs (67 earned).
• Tyler Adams is swinging a hot bat with a .549 average (2nd in nation and NSIC), while teammate Jose Aguirre owns a .484 average (11th in nation and 4th NSIC).
Last Time Versus Upper Iowa
• The Beavers were scheduled to host the Peacocks last season, but were forced to move the games to Fayette, Iowa due to weather. The teams split the four-game series with UIU winning the first doubleheader 2-0 (9) and 18-5 (7) and BSU sweeping day two with 14-3 and 11-9 (10) victories.
• BSU is 4-2 when leading after the third inning, but have been outscored 35-30 in the first three frames this season.
• After failing to score a run in the seventh inning in the first 10 games, the Beavers totaled eight runs in the last three games. BSU has outscored its opponent 15-11 in the seventh-ninth innings and owns a 4-0 record in extra innings.
• Senior Zach Braun was named NSIC Player of the Week March 10 after he guided BSU to a 3-1 start by batting .538 with nine RBIs, five runs scored and three home runs. He posted 1.231 slugging and .667 on-base percentages.
• Sophomores Tyler Nelson and Joey Hanowski have each recorded a team season-long hitting streak of six games.
• Senior Cole Bjorge owns a team-best six multi-hit games, while Braun is the leader in multi-RBI contests with six.
NSIC Preseason Poll
The Beavers finished 13-13 in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play in 2013 to finish eighth and return to the conference tournament for the first time since 2008. Jan. 29, the Beavers were pegged to finish ninth in the 2014 Preseason Baseball Coaches’ Poll. BSU earned 92 points, as sixth through ninth in the poll were separated by 25 points.
Seniors Zach Braun (C, Lakeville, Minn.) and Miles Campbell (RHP, Eden Prairie, Minn.) were named BSU’s Players to Watch.
For more information on the Bemidji State baseball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Mulitmedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).