BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team (7-8, 1-1 NSIC) continues Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play April 2 when it travels to Augustana College (17-7, 7-1 NSIC) for a doubleheader. The league twin bill is slated for a 2:30 p.m. start.
About Bemidji State
• The Beavers are 4-1 in their last five games after splitting an NSIC doubleheader at Upper Iowa March 30. BSU lost game one 5-2, but rebounded for a 4-3 victory in game two, which was called in the eighth due to darkness.
• Sophomore Joey Hanowski has posted a .417 batting average (5-for-12) with a run and an RBI in the last four games and is on a three-game hitting streak.
• Sophomore Nate Heisick went 2-0 and posted a 0.00 ERA in 4.1 relief innings between March 25-30. He fanned four and allowed a .133 batting average.
• Sophomore infielder Tyler Nelson leads a group of four players batting .300 or better, as he owns a .341 average.
• Senior catcher Zach Braun is batting .340 and has a team-best 21 RBIs, which stands fifth in the NSIC. His .560 slugging percentage is 10th in the league.
• On the bump, junior Tyler Saeugling owns a 2-2 record and 4.26 ERA in 25.1 innings pitched. He has fanned 19 batters, while issuing just seven walks.
• Junior Drake Huggans’ three saves is tied for fifth in the NSIC.
• The Beavers were pegged to finish ninth in the 2014 NSIC Preseason Baseball Coaches’ Poll. Sixth through ninth in the poll were separated by 25 points.
• Bemidji State has 22 newcomers this season and just four starters returning from last season’s 25-22 season.
• The Vikings are 17-7 overall, 7-1 in NSIC play and have won eight straight.
• Augie is top two in the NSIC in the majority of offensive categories, including second in batting average at .345.
• The Vikings’ team ERA of 4.15 ranks fourth in the conference, while their .245 opposing batting average is second and 7.76 strikeouts per game is third.
• Four Augustana batters rank in the top 10 of the NSIC with a .414 batting average or better, guided by Tony Viger (5th, .443 average).
Last Time Versus Augustana
• The Beavers were scheduled to host Augustana last season in a mid-week doubleheader, but the games were canceled. In 2012, BSU hosted the Vikings in an NSIC four-game series and went 1-3 (2-7, 7-5, 6-10, 1-12).
• BSU is 5-2 when leading after the third inning, but have been outscored 41-34 in the first three frames this season (21-6 in the first inning).
• After failing to score a run in the seventh inning in the first 10 games, the Beavers totaled eight runs in the last five games. BSU has outscored its opponent 16-12 in the seventh through ninth innings.
• The Beavers are 3-1 in one-run games and own a 4-0 record in extra innings.
• Senior Zach Braun was named NSIC Player of the Week March 10 after he guided BSU to a 3-1 start by batting .538 with nine RBIs, five runs scored and three home runs. He posted 1.231 slugging and .667 on-base percentages.
• Braun is currently on a six-game hitting streak. Sophomores Tyler Nelson and Joey Hanowski have each also recorded a season-long hitting streak of six.
• Senior Cole Bjorge owns a team-best six multi-hit games, while Braun is the leader in multi-RBI contests with seven (no other Beaver has more than one).
For more information on the Bemidji State baseball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Mulitmedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).