BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team (11-10, 5-3 NSIC) begins Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference home games April 10-13. The Beavers welcome Wayne State College (15-11, 8-4 NSIC) April 10 at 2 p.m. then Winona State University (9-14, 6-5 NSIC) April 12-13 at 1 p.m. and 12 p.m., respectfully.
About Bemidji State
• The Beavers are 8-3 in their last 11 games after earning three of four victories at U-Mary in an NSIC series April 6-7. The Beavers lost game one 2-0, but rebounded for three comeback wins, as they posted 8-7, 10-9 and 12-10 victories. BSU trailed by as many as three in the first win, four in the second victory and five in the final win.
• Junior Dylan Webb went 7-for-15 (.467) with nine RBIs and two runs scored to help guide the Beavers to a 4-2 week April 2-7. He posted a double and a home run, en route to 11 total bases. The homer was a three-run shot that gave BSU the lead in the game two victory at U-Mary April 6.
• Freshman right-hander Ryan Rumpca made three appearances April 2-7 during which the Beavers went 3-0. He hurled seven innings where he didn’t allow a run, gave up just one hit and collected a win and a save. He allowed the opposition to post just a .050 batting average, fanned eight batters and issued only one walk. Rumpca was named NSIC Pitcher of the Week April 8 for his efforts.
• Three players are batting .300 or better (2.0 AB/ game), guided by sophomore Tyler Nelson and senior catcher Zach Braun, who are batting .329. Braun has a team-best 26 RBIs, which stands tied for fifth in the NSIC (1st in RBI/g - 1.24).
• On the bump, junior Tyler Saeugling owns a 2-3 record and a team-best 3.73 ERA. His 24 strikeouts ranks tied for 15th in the NSIC.
• Junior Drake Huggans’ five saves is tied for third in the NSIC (T-2nd most).
• The Beavers were pegged to finish ninth in the 2014 NSIC Preseason Baseball Coaches’ Poll. Sixth through ninth in the poll were separated by 25 points..
About Wayne State
• Wayne State (15-11, 8-4 NSIC) won three out of four in a home league series versus Sioux Falls April 6-7. WSC split day one, winning 3-0 before falling 5-4, but swept the second doubleheader with 5-3 and 13-3 victories.
• With a .299 batting average, WSC ranks fourth in the NSIC, while its 147 runs, 235 hits and 133 RBIs all rank fifth.
• The Wildcats are averaging 2.23 doubles per game to rank second in the NSIC.
• Wayne State has posted a 4.20 ERA to rank fifth in the league. The team’s pitching staff has fanned 186 batters, which is third in the conference.
• Michael Herman leads the team with a .395 batting average and .481 slugging percentage.
Last Time Versus Wayne State
• The Beavers lost to Wayne State four times in 2013. The first two came at the H.H.H. Metrodome by the scores of 3-2 and 3-2 (9). BSU then traveled to Wayne, Neb. for a conference doubleheader and lost 5-0 and 8-4.
About Winona State
• The Warriors (9-14, 6-5 NSIC) split a league four-game series with Concordia-St. Paul April 6-7. After sweeping day one with 5-0 and 4-1 victories, the Wildcats fell day two 7-1 and 5-2..
• Winona State will battle Southwest Minnesota State on the road April 9.
• WSU’s .253 batting average is 14th in the NSIC.
• The Warriors are averaging 4.39 runs per game to rank 13th in NSIC, while their 5.62 ERA sits 11th in the league.
• Winona State owns the fifth-best fielding percentage in the conference - .960.
• Tyler Nehring owns a .390 batting average (14th NSIC), while his .598 slugging percentage (7th NSIC) is also a team-high.
Last Time Versus Winona State
The Beavers defeated Winona State in the NSIC Tournament last season, winning 5-4 on a walk-off single by Jaryd Marks in the bottom of the ninth inning.
• BSU was supposed to play the Warriors in a four-game series earlier in 2013, but it was canceled. The last time the teams played in conference was April 28-29 in Bemidji. BSU went 1-3 (9-21, 23-12, 6-7, 12-20).
• BSU is 6-2 when leading after the third inning, but have been outscored 60-51 in the first three frames this season (30-10 in the first inning).
• The Beavers have outscored its opponent 24-17 in the seventh through ninth innings and are 6-1 when leading after the sixth inning (1-9 when trailing).
• BSU is 6-1 in one-run games and own a 4-1 record in extra innings.
• Senior Zach Braun was named NSIC Player of the Week March 10 after he guided BSU to a 3-1 start by batting .538 with nine RBIs, five runs scored and three home runs. He posted 1.231 slugging and .667 on-base percentages.
• Braun posted a team season-long hitting streak of seven games March 15-April 2. Four players have recorded hitting streaks of six games, including junior Dylan Webb who is currently on a six-game hitting streak.
• Senior Cole Bjorge and sophomore Tyler Nelson own a team-best six multi-hit games, while Braun is the leader in multi-RBI contests with eight (second best on the team has three).
For more information on the Bemidji State baseball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Mulitmedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).