EMPORIA, Kan. – Bemidji State University baseball team went head-to-head against No. 6 Emporia State University Saturday afternoon. The Beavers and Hornets were scoreless for most of the game until ESU scored in the fifth inning to then win by a final score of 8-1.
Bemidji State, now 0-3 overall, and Emporia State will be back in action Monday afternoon for a doubleheader starting at 12 p.m. from Glennen Field. The Hornets improve their record to 4-0 on the season.
Bemidji State Highlights
- Mason Bellew led the Beavers as he went 2-for-4 at the plate and scored one run off a single to right field by Jack Hegarty in the top of the seventh inning.
- Scott Litchy and Hegarty both were 1-for-3, while Tyler Nelson was 1-for-4.
- Terry Hadden earned the start on the mound and the loss for the Beavers. Hadden pitched five innings of work allowing four runs on five hits and struck out two batters.
- Also seeing action on the mound was Michael Herd, Parker Havel and Cody Benson, with each posting one inning of work.
- The Beavers only committed one error in its loss to the Hornets.
Emporia State Highlights
- The Hornets ended the game scoring their eight runs on 10 hits and one BSU error.
- Levi Parker paced the squad going 2-for-3 with a double at the plate. Parker charted three runs and two RBIs.
- Designated hitter, Evan Koehler, was 2-for-4, including a double and added one run and two RBIs in the win over BSU.
- Posting his second win of the season on the mound for the Hornets was Shawn Talkington with five innings of work and only allowing one hit.
- Travis Hendry and Garrett Bane also saw action, pitching 3.0 and 1.0 innings, respectively. Hendry gave up the sole run by the Beavers in the game.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).