BEMIDJI, Minn. – Bemidji State University baseball (3-12, 0-0 NSIC) opens its 2015 NSIC action against the Winona State University Warriors (2-10, 0-0 NSIC), March 20-21. Game one of the doubleheader Friday will start at 1:30 p.m. with Saturday's first game at 12 p.m. (noon) from Loughrey Field in Winona, Minn.
The Series: The Beavers and the Warriors have a long-standing series dating back to 1957. Winona State edges BSU 149-36-1 all-time with the Beavers last victories coming on a doubleheader sweep, April 29, 2012, by scores of 7-6 and 20-12. WSU won the last meeting April 12, 2014 in Bemidji, 5-2 and 16-0.
About Bemidji State:
- The Beavers enter the NSIC opener with a 3-12 overall record and are coming off their annual spring trip to Arizona where they played seven games. BSU went 2-5, taking wins over Arizona Christian University, 8-5 and one over Southwest Minnesota State University, 17-8.
- BSU’s opponents so far this season have an average win percentage of .650 and of which three of the teams have been ranked nationally when going head-to-head against the Beavers.
- Jack Hegarty leads the club with a .378 batting average (14-for-37) for those that have had over 20 at bats this season, including four doubles, one triple and one home run. He posted a season-high three hits against St. Cloud State (March 13).
- Hegarty and Joey Hanowski lead the team in runs batted in (RBI), each earning seven. Hanowski ranks fifth in the league for at bats with 54, while teammate Dylan Webb is fourth with 55.
- On the mound for the Beavers, Hegarty paces with a 1.69 earned run average (ERA) and owns a 1-0 record in 10.2 innings pitched this season.
- Hegarty is ranked sixth in the NSIC with 14 strikeouts, while Terry Hadden has the second most on the team with 11.
- Hadden has pitched in 18.1 innings for BSU, which puts him sixth in the conference.
- As a team, BSU is first in the NSIC for at bats (480), second in batters struck out (78), third in hits (125), tied for fifth in triples (5) and tied for sixth in doubles (22) and home runs (4).
About Winona State:
- The Warriors come into the weekend holding a 2-10 overall record after earning two wins at the Russ Matt Invitational. WSU split against Ohio Dominican for a 7-5 victory and against Wayne State (Mich.) for an 11-9 win.
- Travis Evanson leads the Warriors at the plate with a .318 batting average, going 14-for-44, including one double and team-best three home runs. Evanson’s home runs place him tied for third amongst the NSIC.
- In 12 games Evanson has tallied eight runs and six RBI and paces the club with 83 putouts.
- Tyler Nehring is the only other Warrior to have a batting average above .300 as he is batting .311 in 12 games. Nehring also has 14 hits on the season.
- Andrew Geislinger not only leads WSU in sacrifice bunts he leads the conference with nine on the season. The Warriors are ranked fourth in the category as a team with 11.
- On the mound, Mitch Voter leads Winona State with a 1.29 earned run average in four appearances for seven innings of work. Voter is 0-1 on the season with one save. He has allowed only 13 hits, three runs - which only one was earned - and paces the pitchers with 10 strikeouts.
- As a team, the Warriors rank high in a few categories, including tied for fourth in the league for home runs (7), sixth in fielding double plays (8) and tied for sixth in errors (23).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).