BEMIDJI, Minn. – Bemidji State University baseball (5-14, 2-2 NSIC) is back in action March 28-29 as it hits the road again to take on University of Sioux Falls (5-15, 2-2 NSIC). The doubleheaders are scheduled to start at 2 p.m. Saturday and a 1 p.m. start on Sunday from Harmodon Field in Sioux Falls, S.D.
About Bemidji State:
- The Beavers kick started their 2015 NSIC action this past weekend as they traveled to take on Winona State University in a two-day doubleheader series. BSU finished the weekend going 2-2 with splits both Friday and Saturday.
- On Friday, Scott Litchy hit his second home run of the season against the Warriors to lead the squad.
- Terry Hadden pitched a complete seven innings for BSU Friday in game one on the mound to earn the win. Hadden struck out three batters and allowed only six hits to move his record to 1-4 on the season.
- Saturday, the Beavers held onto a 5-1 edge in game one of the doubleheader with Jack Hegarty on the mound earning the win. Hegarty pitched all seven innings allowing only five hits and struck out eight batters to improve his record to 2-0 on the season.
- On the season, Hegarty leads the squad with a 1.53 ERA in four appearances with two starts. He has one save on the season in 17.2 innings pitched, allowing only 16 hits and four runs. Hegarty also paces at the plate with a .372 average for those that have at least 10 at bats, including five doubles, one triple and one home run.
- Hegarty is tied for third in the NSIC for batters struck out with 22.
- Collin Eckman and Tyler Nelson hit back-to-back home runs Saturday and paced the team at the plate. Eckman led the team on the weekend in Winona as he batted .600 going 3-for-5, including his home run and marked one RBI. He was also 1.000 in the field.
- Nelson, last weekend batted .400 as he went 6-for-15, including three doubles and one home run. He added four RBI, three runs, and one stolen base. Nelson leads the team with 20 hits this season and 12 runs scored.
- As a team, BSU is fourth in the NSIC for at bats (603) and in putouts (425), sixth in batters struck out (99), eighth in hits (151), tied for eighth in doubles (31) and home runs (7) and tied for ninth in triples (5).
About Sioux Falls:
- The Cougars are coming off their first NSIC weekend hosting University of Minnesota Duluth where they split the series 2-2. USF defeated the Bulldogs in game one both days but fell in game two each day.
- USF is currently 5-15 overall and has a 2-2 mark in conference action, which places them ninth in the NSIC.
- Matthew Minnick leads the Cougars at the plate with a .400 batting average, as he is 24-for-60 on the season, including a team-high eight doubles, one triple and a team-best three home runs. Minnick also leads the team with 19 RBI and 22 runs scored.
- On the mound for the Cougars, Patrick Anderson paces the pitchers with a 2.79 ERA, appearing in four games with 9.2 innings of work.
- Pitching the most innings on the mound with a 2-3 record and one save is Alex Wall. Wall has a 5.20 ERA in 27.2 innings pitched and 16 strikeouts.
- As a team, USF leads the NSIC in assists (226) and in fielding double plays (20). The Cougars are also ranked second in doubles (42) and in putouts (458), fourth in runs scored (112), hits (166) and stolen bases (20), tied for fifth in triples (6) and sixth in fielding percentage (.950).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).