BEMIDJI, Minn. – Bemidji State University baseball, now 7-16, 4-4 NSIC, is set to host its 2015 home opener against Northern State University and will continue its home stretch April 3-4 against University of Concordia, St. Paul. Tuesday’s game against Northern State will start at 1 p.m. from BSU Baseball Field with doubleheaders against Concordia-St. Paul starting at 12 p.m. (noon) both days.
About Bemidji State:
- The Beavers (7-16, 4-4 NSIC) was back on the road again this past weekend as they traveled to University of Sioux Falls for a two-day doubleheader series. BSU finished the weekend going 2-2 as it swept the Cougars Saturday but then fell in Sunday’s doubleheader.
- Saturday the Beavers swept by scores of 8-1 and 16-10, while the Cougars took Sunday by scores of 5-3 and 18-7. BSU’s sweep on Saturday marked its first of the season.
- Scott Litchy led the Beavers on the weekend batting .529 as he was 9-for-17 from the plate, including two doubles, one triple and two home runs. His nine hits were tied for the most in the NSIC last week, while his 19 total bases and 10 RBI were second best. Litchy posted eight of his 10 RBI in one game against Sioux Falls for a season-high and now leads the team with 15 RBI.
- Litchy marked back-to-back home runs against the Cougars in game two Saturday with a three-run bomb and followed with a grand slam.
- BSU posted five home runs last weekend with them all coming in one game for a season-high, including Litchy’s two home runs, a solo shot by Dylan Webb, two-run shot by Jack Hegarty and Bo Schmitz with a three-run home run.
- Jake Braun and Jack Hegarty lead the squad at the plate with a .400 and .396 batting averages, respectively. Braun has marked four hits, while Hegarty has tallied 21 to include five doubles, one triple and two home runs.
- The Beavers have six players with at least a two-game hitting streak, including a seven-game streak by Tyler Nelson.
- Last weekend, BSU only struck out nine times in four games at the plate against Sioux Falls.
- As a team, BSU is fourth in the NSIC for at bats (741), tied for fifth in hits (204) including a single-game season-high 24 against Sioux Falls, sixth in doubles (40) and home runs (12) and tied for seventh in triples (6).
About Northern State:
- The Wolves come into the doubleheader with BSU after its last seven, including four against Wayne State College last weekend. NSU has a 7-12 overall record and a 1-7 mark in conference action.
- Freshman Lucas Lorenz leads NSU with a .349 batting average going 15-for-43 at the plate. Lorenz leads the team with three triples and is one of three players to have two home runs on the season.
- Northern State is ranked fourth in the NSIC in doubles (43), with senior Mark Abrahamson pacing the team with nine of his own. Abrahamson also leads the Wolves with 15 RBI on the season.
- Sophomore starter James Georgakas leads NSU’s pitching core with a 2.57 earned run average in 14 innings of work. Georgakas is 2-0 on the season with a .264 batting average against him.
- Putting in the most innings on the mound is senior Cody Johns with 27.1 and a 2-3 record. Johns has an 8.23 ERA, 20 strikeouts and has allowed 53 hits.
About Concordia-St. Paul:
- Concordia-St. Paul enters the week of NSIC action after dropping three of four games to University of Minnesota Duluth last weekend for a 7-9 overall record and a 5-3 mark in the conference.
- Concordia is led by Eric Fasnacht who ranks fifth in the league in slugging (.750), 11th in hitting (.404) and 19th in on base percentage (.458). Fasnacht also leads with 19 RBI and has a .750 slugging percentage for fifth in the NSIC.
- On the mound, Cody Knaus has seen the most action for the Golden Bears with 22 innings of work in four games to post a 4.09 ERA. Knaus has 19 total strikeouts with a .262 batting average against him.
- CSP’s Yuji Suzuki has appeared in five games to mark two saves for the pitching staff in his 16 innings, which ranks him tied for second in the league.
- The Golden Bears are batting .328 as a team to rank fourth in the NSIC and tied for seventh with 17 stolen bases.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).