BEMIDJI, Minn. – Bemidji State University baseball, now 8-19, 5-7 NSIC, are set to hit the road April 8 for a midweek NSIC doubleheader at Highway 2 rival University of Minnesota Crookston before coming back home for a four-game set with Minnesota State University, Mankato, April 11-12. The doubleheader at UMC is set for 1 p.m. with the Beavers’ doubleheaders against Minnesota State starting at 12 p.m. both days.
About Bemidji State:
- The Beavers (8-19, 5-7 NSIC) went 1-3 last week in NSIC action as it dropped a midweek doubleheader to Northern State by scores of 3-4 and 2-10, while splitting with Concordia-St. Paul Saturday taking game one 1-0 but falling in game two, 2-0.
- Last weekend’s shutouts was only the second time the Beavers have been shutout by an opponent and the first time BSU has shutout an opponent this season.
- Last week, Scott Litchy, Jack Hegarty, Jake Tuholsky and Matt Mastantuono all batted .500, with Litchy being the only one to play in all four games.
- Litchy went 6-for-12, including one double and added one RBI and two stolen bases. Had his best games against Northern State as he went 2-for-2 in game one and 3-for-4 in game two.
- Jack Hegarty led the team with two doubles on the week and gave the Beavers a win over Concordia-St. Paul with a walk-off single. Hegarty now leads BSU at the plate with a .407 batting average, including seven doubles, one triple and two home runs.
- Hegarty currently has a four-game hitting streak as the Beavers enter the week, while Tyler Nelson and Bo Schmitz have a season long 10-game streak.
- Nelson hit a solo home run against Northern State for his second of the season. He paces with 31 hits and 10 doubles with a .326 batting average.
- On the mound, Terry Hadden pitched a complete game shutout Saturday against Concordia to improve to 3-4 on the season. Hadden allowed only four hits with five strikeouts and no walks in the shutout victory.
- Coach Tim Bellew is one win away from earning his 100th win in NSIC competition.
About Minnesota Crookston:
- The Golden Eagles come into the midweek matchup against the Beavers holding an 8-22 overall record and a 2-12 mark in conference action. At home, UMC is only 1-4 on the season.
- UMC is currently on a three-game slide after taking one of four games against Winona State University last weekend by a score of 4-2.
- Ryan Haggstrom leads the Golden Eagles at the plate with a .360 batting average going 41-for-114 and has an eight-game hitting streak. Haggstrom also leads the team in the field with 234 putouts, has added 19 assists and committed only one error for a .996 fielding percentage.
- Thomas Kinsella is another standout with a .355 batting average and leads the squad in doubles (9) and triples (2).
- Pitching the most innings on the mound for UMC with a 4-3 record is Nolan Wahlberg as he has 48.2 innings of work. Wahlberg has a 4.25 ERA in eight appearances.
- Leading the pitching core in strikeouts this season is Jared Nelson with 26 in his 38.1 innings of work.
- The Golden Eagles have a collective .295 batting average in 29 games played and a combined 7.77 ERA at the mound.
About Minnesota State:
- No. 7 Minnesota State enters its week of NSIC action owning a 17-4 overall record and a 7-3 post in conference play. Last week the Mavericks played seven games going 4-3 as they lost one to St. Cloud State and two against Minnesota Duluth.
- Senior Nolan Johnson leads the Mavericks, as he is batting .456, including 12 doubles and two home runs. He also leads with a .684 slugging percentage and second on the team with 15 RBI.
- Johnson is second in the NSIC in batting average and first in doubles per game and hits per game.
- Senior Max Waletich is also batting above .400 for the Mavericks and has tallied four doubles and 14 RBI in 15 appearances.
- On the mound, Minnesota State is led by freshman Dalton Roach with a 2.40 ERA and a 2-1 record after six appearances and 15 innings of work.
- Freshman Brody Rodning has allowed just 15 hits this season, which ranks first in the NSIC. Rodning is 4-0 in 23.2 innings on the mound and holds a 3.04 ERA.
- MSU has recorded 10 runs or more six times and are 6-0 in those games this season.
- Minnesota State is outscoring opponents 144-86 so far this season.
- As a team, the Mavericks are batting .327 to rank third in the conference.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).