|April 15, 2015||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: Larsen (3-1)||4.0||10||7||6||0||4|
|Loss: Hadden (3-5)||5.0||9||10||10||4||5|
|April 15, 2015||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Moore (1-1)||4.0||5||4||4||1||3|
|Loss: Havel (0-1)||0.2||2||3||0||0||0|
BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team ended a six-game home stand Wednesday afternoon with a doubleheader against Minot State University. With the wind gusting at about 20 miles per hour towards left field during the doubleheader, high powered hitting determined the series as Minot State earned the sweep with scores of 16-9 and 15-13.
Bemidji State, now 10-25, 7-13 NSIC, hit the road to start an eight-game road stand April 18-19 as it travels to University of Minnesota Duluth. Saturday’s doubleheader is set for a 1:30 p.m. start with Sunday’s first pitch schedule for 12 p.m. (noon) from Bulldog Park. Minot State is now 10-19 overall and 7-11 in the NSIC.
Bemidji State Highlights
- The Beavers hit four home runs in the doubleheader as Joey Hanowski hit his first of the season in game one, while teammates Tyler Nelson, Scott Litchy and Mason Bellew eached tallied one in game two.
- All of BSU’s home runs were two-run home runs besides one, which Nelson led off the first inning hitting a solo shot.
- In game one, Hanowski was 4-for-5 from the plate, including a double and his home run. Hanowski led the team in RBI with five.
- Nelson went 3-for-3, including a double at the plate and added two RBI and three runs scored, while Logan Riedel also had three hits, one RBI and two runs scored.
- Terry Hadden recorded the loss in game one after pitching five innings and striking out five. Cody Benson and Drake Huggans came into the game as relief each posting one inning of work.
- Litchy paced the Beavers in game two as he went 4-for-6, adding in two RBI and three runs scored. With his home run, he now leads the squad with a season-total of five.
- Riedel was the starter on the mound in game two with five innings of work, striking out seven and allowed only four earned runs. Michael Herd saw the second most innings with three as he struck out five and gave up five earned runs.
- BSU outhit Minot State in the doubleheader as it totaled 36 hits to Minot’s 31.
Minot State Highlights
- Minot State came out swinging against the BSU as they tallied seven home runs in the doubleheader, including a grand slam, four two-run home runs and one solo shot.
- The grand slam came in game one by catcher Paul Vogelsang. Vogelsang ended the day 2-for-8 and added four RBI and two runs scored.
- Pacing the team in both games of the doubleheader was Jordan Schulz, as he went 4-for-5 and 4-for-6, respectively. Schulz’s batting included two doubles and one home run. He also posted seven RBI, with five coming in game two.
- Earning the win on the mound in game one was Josh Larsen to improve to 3-1 on the season. Larsen pitched four innings, allowing six earned runs and struck out four.
- Wyatt Moore pitched four innings to earn the win, while Alex Grothe pitched the final inning allowing only one hit to get his first save of the year. Moore improved to 1-1 with the win.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).