BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team, now 10-29, 7-17 NSIC, continues its road stand Wednesday, April 22 as it travels to St. Cloud State University for a midweek twin bill before having the weekend off. Game time is set for 3 p.m. from Joe Faber Field.
About Bemidji State:
- The Beavers (10-29, 7-17 NSIC) dropped two games at home in a midweek dual against Minot State University (Apr. 15) and then started an eight-game road stand at University of Minnesota Duluth where they fell in four (Apr. 17-18).
- The Beavers hit four home runs in their doubleheader against Minot State as Joey Hanowski hit his first of the season in game one, while teammates Tyler Nelson, Scott Litchy and Mason Bellew each tallied one in game two.
- All of BSU’s home runs were two-run home runs besides one, which Nelson led off the first inning hitting a solo shot.
- BSU outhit Minot State in the doubleheader as it totaled 36 hits to Minot’s 31.
- In game one against Minnesota Duluth Friday, BSU had three players get one hit, including Nelson, Jack Hegarty and Collin Eckman to lead the squad.
- Hegarty scored the sole run for the Beavers with a one-out solo home run in the top of the fourth inning to take a 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs.
- Pitching dominated game one as both teams saw only one pitcher on the mound. Jesse Katz earned the start for BSU, pitching six innings allowing only six hits and five earned runs. He struck out nine batters and is now 1-5 on the year.
- Eckman led the team going 3-for-3, including a three-run home run in the sixth inning to trail 8-5 in game one Saturday. He added two runs scored and his three RBI led the squad.
- The Beavers jumped out to a lead over UMD in game two with a 4-0 edge after two innings but were unable to hang on.
- Appearing in four games last week, Logan Riedel batted .455, including two doubles and added one RBI and two runs scored.
- Nelson appeared in all six games last week to lead the team batting .400, including two doubles and a home run on eight hits. Nelson also marked four RBI and seven runs scored.
About St. Cloud State:
- The No. 2 Huskies come into the midweek twin bill against the Beavers holding a 35-3 overall record and a 19-3 mark in conference action, which is good for first place in the NSIC.
- SCSU was off last weekend, but in its last time out swept University of Mary by scores of 10-0 and 5-4. St. Cloud State’s three losses came from Southwest Minnesota State, Augustana College and Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Senior Michael Jurgella leads the Huskies with a .414 batting average in 38 games. Jurgella as recorded 11 doubles, two triples and seven home runs on the year and paces SCSU in slugging percentage (.695), on-base percentage (.506) and in fielding percentage (1.000).
- Max Ditty is also batting .414 in 26 appearance and 29 at-bats.
- Zak Hoffman and Kyle Lieser are second on the team, both of which are batting .385. Hoffman is the leading home run hitter with nine total this season.
- The Huskies pitching core is led by junior Reese Gregory with an 8-0 record and a 0.96 ERA. Gregory also has four saves on the year and has tallied 46.2 innings on the mound.
- SCSU’s pitching has four pitchers with ERA’s under 3.00 that have appeared in at least four games on the mound.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).