|April 29, 2015||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|SW Minn. State||3||1||0||1||0||3||X||8||11||0|
|Win: Knudson (3-0)||5.2||6||3||3||1||7|
|Loss: Hegarty (2-4)||4.0||7||5||5||2||7|
|April 29, 2015||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||R||H||E|
|SW Minn. State||0||2||2||1||1||2||0||4||12||11||0|
|Win: Jorgensen (1-6)||6.1||7||1||1||2||5|
|Loss: Herd (2-2)||5.0||6||6||4||3||8|
MARSHALL, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team ended an eight-game road stand Wednesday with a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) matchup against Southwest Minnesota State University. Bemidji State ended the road stand dropping the doubleheader to the Mustangs by scores of 8-5 and 12-2.
Bemidji State, now 10-33, 7-21 NSIC, will be back in action May 1-2 as it ends its 2015 campaign in the comforts of BSU Baseball Field playing host to University of Mary. Friday’s first pitch will be at 2 p.m. with Saturday’s final doubleheader and Senior Day is set for 12 p.m. The Mustangs improve to 21-25 overall and 14-16 in the NSIC with the sweep.
Bemidji State Highlights
- In the series, In game one, the Beavers would not get on the board until the top of the sixth inning after trailing 5-0. Mason Bellew and Jake Tuholsky hit back-to-back doubles to make it a 5-3 game. Tuholsky's was a two-run shot.
- With the bases loaded in the seventh, Scott Litchy hit a two RBI single to right field to trail 8-5 but the Beavers fell up short.
- A whole slough of Beavers recorded one hit in the game, as they ended with seven hits.
- Jack Hegarty and Logan Riedel were on the mound putting in four and two innings, respectively. Hegarty tallied seven strikeouts and gave up five earned runs, while Riedel recorded five strikeouts and gave up two earned runs.
- The Beavers were only able to get a couple runs in game two, which was highlighted with a double in the seventh by Dylan Webb.
- Bellew led BSU in game two as he was 3-for-4 and charted one run in the game. He also paced in the series, batting .571 and was 4-for-7, including a double.
- Michael Herd charted the loss in game two with five innings of work. Herd gave up four earned runs and marked eight strikeouts.
- Also seeing action on the mound was Cody Benson, Parker Havel and Ben Boser.
Southwest Minnesota State Highlights
- In Four Mustangs tallied two hits in game one with Austin Stubbs and Tanner Neale each going 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Stubbs charted one double, one triple and led the team with three RBI.
- Right fielder Brian Redemske hit the only home run in the game and ended game one going 2-for-4.
- Cameron Knudson was the starting pitcher to earn the win for a 3-0 record on the year with 5.2 innings of work, while Mitch Wurm pitched 0.1 innings to chart his first save of the season.
- Alex Jorgensen (1-6) pitched 6.1 innings in game two, allowing just one run on seven hits with a career-high five strikeouts and two walks.
- SMSU finished game two with 11 hits. Tanner Neale cracked out three hits, including a double and scored three runs, while Austin Stubbs had two hits, including a home run and scored three times.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).