BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team hits the road to throw the first pitch of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference season March 25-26 against Concordia University-St. Paul. The Beavers (2-13, 0-0 NSIC) and Golden Bears (7-2, 0-0 NSIC) play a four-game series at Barnes Field beginning at 1:30 p.m. Friday and 12 p.m. Saturday.
NSIC doubleheaders consist of a seven-inning game one and a nine-inning game two.
About Bemidji State
- Bemidji State went 1-6 during its spring trip earning a split against Northwestern Oklahoma State University and facing loses to Oklahoma City University, No. 10 Lubbock Christian University and William Jewell College.
- BSU earned a 5-3 win at NWOSU as Zach Petray stepped to the mound as the starting pitcher. Relief pitcher Nate Heisick was recorded with the win after throwing four innings with a career-high six strikeouts and two hits allowed.
- The Beavers are averaging 5.1 runs per game and hitting .283 with a .341 on-base percentage and 16 stolen bases.
- Bemidji State is coming through at the plate with two outs with a .335 batting average compared to a .235 average against. Five Beavers average at least .400 from the plate with two outs. BSU has driven in 39 two-out RBI, including six each from four Beavers.
- Outfielder Tyler Nelson is on a 14-game hitting streak, the program’s longest streak since 2013. He has recorded a hit in every game except the season opener at No. 24 Missouri Southern State University.
- Nelson leads the team with a .397 batting average, .647 slugging percentage, .423 on-base percentage, 27 hits, 12 runs and four triples. His four triples is one shy of the BSU program single-season record set by Dave Lampi in 1991.
- Outfielder Scott Litchy leads BSU with 14 RBI, 12 runs, three home runs and three steals. He ranks second with three triples and two doubles. Outfielder Logan Riedel has also recorded multiple triples.
- The pitching staff has a 7.80 ERA, .345 opponents’ batting average and a 1.26 strikeout-to-walk ratio while Bemidji State is fielding .967.
- Heisick leads the BSU pitching staff with a 3.38 ERA, .275 opposing batting average, 13 strikeouts, six appearances and two wins.
- The Beavers scored first in all three of their wins. BSU faced a right-handed pitcher during those wins and is 0-3 versus left-handers.
About Concordia-St. Paul
- Concordia is 31-24 all-time against BSU dating back to 1997 when the Beavers took the first eight games of the series. The Golden Bears first win in the series was May 2, 2003.
- The Golden Bears split a road doubleheader with BSU last season.
- BSU is 9-6 against Concordia in the last 15 meetings.
- Concordia is 12-10 against BSU all-time at home and 29-21 versus BSU in NSIC games.
- CSP is 28-24 in NSIC opening series and 28-18 in home opening series under 17th-year head coach Mark “Lunch” McKenzie.
- McKenzie was appointed Concordia’s incoming director of athletics following the academic year and will remain on as head coach for at least the 2017 baseball season.
Projected Pitching Matchups
* Each team’s projected pitching matchups are based on early season usage, as the teams do not announce starting pitching matchups before a series.
Game One: RHP Terry Hadden (BSU) vs. LHP Zach Rengel (CSP)
Game Two: RHP Jack Stigman (BSU) vs. RHP Gus Varland (CSP)
Game Three: LHP Mark Lesinski (BSU) vs. LHP Kody Knaus (CSP)
Game Four: RHP Ryan Fransen (BSU) vs. LHP Kevin Woebke (CSP)
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).