BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team plays its second Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference four-game road series April 2-3 at Minnesota State University Mankato at the MSU Baseball Complex. The Beavers (3-17, 0-4 NSIC) look for its first wins in the NSIC this season and the first win against the Mavericks (10-8, 1-3 NSIC) since 2013.
The NSIC doubleheaders begin Saturday and Sunday at 12 p.m. and consist of a seven-inning game one and a nine-inning game two.
About Bemidji State
- Bemidji State was swept in its NSIC opening four-game series against Concordia-St. Paul
- The Beavers scored first in every game and finished hitting .311 from the plate
- The base paths were open for BSU, as the team stole four bases on five attempts and conversely shut CSP out of stolen bases on two attempts
- Outfielder Logan Riedel’s third triple of the season put Bemidji State back in a tie for the NSIC lead in three-baggers with 11
- Outfielder Tyler Nelson extended his hit streak to 18 games, the second longest for the program since 1998
- He totaled nine hits for a .500 batting average, .722 slugging percentage and a .526 on-base percentage
- Nelson is tied for the NSIC lead in triples with four, while Riedel and outfielder Scott Litchy are tied for third with three
- The right fielder leads the NSIC with 36 hits and his four triples are one shy of tying the BSU single-season program record
- Catcher Gunner Olszewski hit his first two career home runs in three games played, a three-run shot and a solo homer, and finished with six RBI
- Relief pitcher Nate Heisick continued as the top relief option for BSU, finishing two appearances with a 1.69 ERA in 5.1 innings pitched
- Heisick recorded three Ks and an opposing batting average of .286
- Starting pitchers Jack Stigman and Ryan Fransen threw quality games, going 5.0 and 6.1 innings, respectively, without recording a loss
- Stigman totaled six Ks, three hits allowed and an opposing batting average of .167
- Fransen totaled three Ks and an opposing batting average of .190
- Stigman leads the team in innings pitched (23.1) and starts (5), and ranks second among starting pitchers in ERA (7.33), strikeouts (15) and walks allowed (8)
About Minnesota State, Mankato
- Minnesota State enters the weekend with a 10-8 record overall and a 1-3 mark in the NSIC after dropping the conference opening series to Minnesota Duluth
- The Mavericks opened the four-game series with a 6-2 loss before the second game of a doubleheader was postponed due to darkness
- MSU finished the second game of the series with a 3-2 win, followed by a 4-3 loss and a 13-9 loss in the final day of games
- The Mavericks are hitting .286 from the plate with a .400 slugging percentage and a .383 on-base percentage
- Minnesota State has allowed 21 home runs compared to eight on the offensive side, and has allowed 19 stolen bases compared to 12 for MSU
- MSU’s pitching staff ranks third in the NSIC with a 5.20 ERA and second with 133 strikeouts
Projected Pitching Matchups
* Each team’s projected pitching matchups are based on early season usage, as the teams do not announce starting pitching matchups before a series.
- Game One: RHP Terry Hadden (BSU) vs. RHP Dalton Roach (MSU)
- Game Two: RHP Jack Stigman (BSU) vs. LHP Brody Rodning (MSU)
- Game Three: LHP Mark Lesinski (BSU) vs. LHP Aaron Rozek (MSU)
- Game Four: RHP Ryan Fransen (BSU) vs. RHP Mitchell Bauer (MSU)
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).