BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball program hosts Northern State University for a midweek Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference doubleheader Wednesday, April 5 with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. from BSU Baseball Field.
- Who: Northern State (8-14, 1-9 NSIC) vs. Bemidji State (9-17, 6-8 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, April 5 (1/3 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
- Live Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/bsu/
- Audio: http://beaverradionetwork.com/
- Live Stats (Game One): http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=146709
- Live Stats (Game Two): http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=146710
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 66-53
- Record at BSU: BSU leads, 27-21
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State went 2-4 over its last week of games, taking two wins from University of Sioux Falls and losing two games to Sioux Falls and Concordia University-St. Paul in BSU’s home opening week.
- The Beavers dropped their home-opening doubleheader against the Golden Bears, 6-3 and 13-2, March 30.
- BSU swept USF on the first day of the four game series with an 11-9 walk-off win and an 8-4 victory. The Cougars took Sunday’s doubleheader, 13-6 and 10-9.
- BSU hit .313 from the plate with a .399 on-base percentage and totaled an 8.43 ERA and fielded .940.
About Northern State
- The Wolves are led by seventh-year head coach Dean Berry.
- Northern State went 0-6 in its last week of action, facing sweeps to St. Cloud State University and Augustana University in Aberdeen, S.D.
- SCSU handed NSU 7-0 and 9-2 losses before Augie swept the four-game series against NSU with 11-0, 1-0, 2-1 and 10-3 wins.
- NSU is hitting .270 from the plate and have a 5.75 ERA with a .965 fielding percentage.
Swinging for the Stars
- Junior outfielder Scott Litchy continued his hot hitting streak while totaling two home runs in each of BSU’s wins against USF.
- Litchy sent the walk-off two-run home run past right field in Game One against the Cougars before following with another two-run dinger in Game Two. He finished with four RBI during the first win and added three RBI in BSU’s second victory of the week.
- Litchy hit .524 from the plate with 11 hits in 21 at-bats during the last six games. He improved his season batting average from .357 to .429 after the two series.
Eckman on a Streak
- Collin Eckman is on an eight-game hitting streak, the longest current streak on the team.
- Eckman totaled nine hits in the 18 games prior to his hitting streak and entered the streak hitting .184 from the plate.
- Since the beginning of his streak, he has raised his batting average from .184 to .286 and has totaled 13 hits in the last eight games.
- The next longest current hitting streak is Litchy at four games.
- Noah Boser holds the team’s longest hitting streak of the season at 10 games.
- Eckman is second on the team’s current reached base streak with 11 games, behind only Litchy at 14 games.
Six is the Magic Number
- When BSU scores at least six runs in a game, its record is 7-2.
- The Beavers have scored 31 runs in the sixth inning of games this season, 13 more than any other inning.
- BSU is 9-1 when leading after the sixth inning and 5-0 when leading after the seventh.
- Bemidji State is only outscoring opponents in the third, sixth and ninth innings, each by two or less runs.
- Litchy’s walk-off home run against USF was the first for BSU since Mason Bellew did so against Winona State University April 10, 2016.
- Gunner Olszewski leads BSU with nine stolen bases, four more than second most on the team, and has the team’s single-game high of two stolen bases. He has stolen two bases in a game twice this season (at Winona State on March 26 and versus Sioux Falls on April 2).
- Bemidji State is hitting best when its leadoff hitter reaches base, totaling a .379 batting average in those situations.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).