BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The regular season comes to a close as the Bemidji State University baseball program faces St. Cloud State University in a home-and-home series Thursday, May 4 and Saturday, May 6. The Beavers head to St. Cloud, Minn., for the first half of the series before the Huskies travel to BSU Baseball Field to close out the regular season.
- Who: Bemidji State (17-29, 14-20 NSIC) vs. St. Cloud State (34-12, 25-9 NSIC)
- When: Thursday, May 4 (4/6 p.m.) & Saturday, May 6 (4/6 p.m.)
- Where: St. Cloud, Minn. (Joe Faber Field) & Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
- Live Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/bsu/
- Live Stats (Game One & Two): http://www.sidearmstats.com/stcloudstate/baseball/
- Live Stats (Game Three): http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=168748
- Live Stats (Game Four): http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=168749
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: SCSU leads, 25-8-1
- Record at SCSU: SCSU leads, 7-3
- Record at BSU: SCSU leads, 7-3
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State climbed one spot with a 4-2 week to 12th in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference standings, 2.0 games back of the eighth and final postseason playoff spot currently held by University of Minnesota Crookston.
- University of Mary opened BSU’s week with two 3-2 wins against the Beavers in Bismarck, N.D.
- BSU followed with a four-game sweep over Southwest Minnesota State University to give the program its most single-season wins since 2014.
- BSU hit .256 from the plate with a .345 on-base percentage and totaled an 2.54 ERA and fielded .961.
About St. Cloud State
- The Huskies are led by 10th-year head coach Pat Dolan.
- St. Cloud State swept in its last week of action, winning a pair of games against Minot State University.
- The Huskies pulled out an 8-6 victory in game one, followed by a 3-2 win in extra innings.
- With the wins, SCSU gave Coach Dolan his 400th career victory. He now has a 400-133-1 record since 2008.
- SCSU is hitting .320 from the plate and have a 3.64 ERA with a .972 fielding percentage.
Gunner on the Basepaths
- Sophomore Gunner Olszewski ranks fourth in the NSIC in stolen bases with 18 on 21 attempts.
- Olszewski is three stolen bases shy of setting the BSU career record.
- Olszewski totaled three stolen bases on four attempts over BSU’s last week of action.
- Olszewski, along with junior Scott Litchy, holds the team single-game high of two stolen bases, which he has done twice.
- Olszewski also ranks tied for second in the NSIC with 13 runners caught stealing.
- Senior Collin Eckman and junior Scott Litchy combined for 16 of BSU’s 31 RBIs on the week.
- Litchy led the club with 10 RBIs on 10 hits, including three home runs, while Eckman totaled six RBIs on nine hits, including three doubles.
- Eckman and Olszewski are each on eight-game hitting streaks to lead the team.
- Olszewski is currently on the team’s longest reached base streak at 17 games, surpassing Litchy’s previous streak of 16 earlier this season.
Going the Distance
- Three BSU pitchers threw complete games over the team’s last six games.
- Senior Ryan Fransen threw two complete games during the stretch, going 1-1 between the two contests, and finished with 15.0 innings pitched.
- Fransen allowed just two earned runs on 12 hits with eight strikeouts and one walk, and held opposing batters to a .207 batting average.
- Senior Logan Riedel threw a complete game win against SMSU, allowing one earned run with seven strikeouts.
- Junior pitcher Connor McNallan began the week with a complete game and two earned runs allowed despite a 3-2 loss.
- Head coach Tim Bellew earned his 200th win in the sweep-clinching win against Southwest Minnesota State Saturday afternoon.
- Bellew is the second winningest coach in program history and trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 90 wins.
- Litchy leads BSU at the plate and ranks 12th in the NSIC with a .361 batting average.
- Litchy holds the BSU career record with 11 sacrifice flies and is two home runs and five RBIs away from setting the BSU career records.
- Litchy ranks among the BSU career top 10 in highest batting average, highest slugging percentage, runs scored, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs, total bases, intentional walks and stolen bases.
- Senior Logan Riedel reached his second consecutive season with at least three triples after an RBI three-bagger in game two against Minnesota State April 21.
- Senior Mason Bellew and Riedel are both in BSU’s top 10 for most games played with 154 and 153, respectively, while Riedel moved into seventh in most games started with 148 and Bellew into ninth with 146.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).