BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Poor weather in Bemidji, Minn., forced the Bemidji State University baseball program to push up its four-game series against Augustana University while also moving the series to Sioux Falls, S.D. The Beavers and No. 11 Vikings will begin its four-game series Thursday, March 29 at 3 p.m. with the final doubleheader starting Friday, March 30 at 12 p.m. at Ronken Field.
- Who: Augustana (18-1, 5-1 NSIC) vs. Bemidji State (4-14, 2-4 NSIC)
- When: Thursday, March 29 (3 / 5 p.m.) / Friday, March 30 (12 / 2 p.m.)
- Where: Sioux Falls, S.D. (Ronken Field)
- Social Media: @BSUBeaversBase (Twitter)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record vs. AU: AU leads, 17-6
- Record in Sioux Falls vs. AU: AU leads, 10-3
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State returned from a week hiatus after its spring trip to a sweep to Concordia University-St. Paul, 9-0 and 4-0, in Minnetonka, Minn., at Veterans Field.
- The Beavers totaled seven hits between the two games while allowing 19 to the Golden Bears. CSP’s pitching staff combined for two complete games to stifle BSU.
- BSU left 11 total runners stranded on base, including five Beavers who reached base on walks and one on a hit by pitch.
- Bemidji State is hitting .221 from the plate, slugging .283 and holds a .325 on-base percentage during the season.
- On the base paths, the Beavers have stolen 18 bases, which ranks sixth in the NSIC, on 22 attempts.
- The Beaver pitching staff holds an ERA of 7.17 with an opposing batting average of .315.
- BSU enters 2018 under 13th year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 206-388-1 record overall.
- The Vikings enter 2018 under 10-year head coach Tim Huber.
- Senior pitcher David Flattery is coming off being named the NSIC’s Pitcher of the Week after throwing eight shutout innings against University of Minnesota Crookston while allowing one hit with 13 strikeouts.
- Augustana went 4-0 during its last full week of action with two wins against Minnesota Crookston and Briar Cliff College.
- The Vikings are hitting .321 from the plate with a .459 slugging percentage, .393 on-base percentage and have scored 146 runs on the season.
- The AU pitching staff holds an ERA of 2.92 and is holding opposing hitters to a .201 batting average. The throwers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 188-to-65.
- Augustana leads the NSIC in batting average, runs, hits (211), doubles (43), fielding percentage (.974), ERA, strikeouts and saves (6).
- AU will play a doubleheader against Upper Iowa Wednesday, March 28 prior to facing BSU.
Now Batting: Scott Litchy
- Senior outfielder/infielder Scott Litchy has been one of the team’s most potent bodies at the plate during his career and leads the team with a .350 batting average, 21 hits, 11 runs scored, five doubles, one triple, .517 slugging percentage and six stolen bases.
- He led the team last season in many of the same categories, including a .350 batting average, 29 runs scored, nine home runs, 38 RBIs and .642 slugging percentage.
- He also led BSU with 16 multiple hit games and nine multiple RBI games in 2017.
- Litchy holds the BSU career record with 11 sacrifice flies and is two home runs and three RBIs away from setting the BSU career records.
- Litchy ranks among the BSU career top 10 in highest batting average, highest slugging percentage, runs scored, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs, total bases, intentional walks and stolen bases.
- The Beavers return just 12 letter winners from the 2017 roster while bringing on 27 newcomers.
- Three of BSU’s top four batting averages are from underclassmen, including freshman Caleb Carlson (.286), sophomore Drake Wawro (.259) and sophomore Isaiah Grancorvitz (.250).
- A majority of the extra-base hits recorded this season have also come from underclassmen, as the group has hit 17 of the team’s 26 extra-base knocks.
- Four underclassmen currently hold a perfect fielding percentage through the team’s first 18 games.
On the Mound
- Senior pitcher Connor McNallan has been the go-to arm for BSU, leading the pitching staff with 23.1 innings pitched.
- McNallan also leads the team with 16 strikeouts and is holding opposing hitters to a .333 batting average.
- Junior pitcher Jesse Palafox holds an ERA of 1.23 in 7.1 innings pitched with seven strikeouts and an opposing batting average of .148, while also recording a team-high two saves.
- The Beavers have two starting pitchers (Travis Carruth and Jake Olson) that have at least 18.2 innings pitched and an ERA of 3.86 or less.
- Head coach Tim Bellew earned his 200th win in a sweep-clinching win against Southwest Minnesota State Saturday, April 29, 2017.
- Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 84 wins for most in program history.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).