BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The 2019 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference baseball schedule begins March 16-17 as Bemidji State University and (RV) Augustana University face-off in a two-game series in Omaha, Neb. The Beavers and Vikings will play at 5 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday at Westside High School.
- Who: Bemidji State (1-10, 0-0 NSIC) vs. Augustana (7-5, 0-0 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, March 16 (5 p.m.); Sunday, March 17 (5 p.m.)
- Where: Omaha, Neb. (Westside High School)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: AU leads, 21-6
- Neutral Site Record: Tied, 2-2
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State closed its non-conference schedule with a 1-10 record overall, earning its lone win in the season opener Thursday, Feb. 28 at Rockhurst University, 7-4.
- Sophomore infielder Blake Huntley leads BSU with nine hits this season while starting all 11 games. He is hitting .257 from the plate with two runs batted in, two runs, an on-base percentage of .366, and has stolen three bases on three attempts.
- Senior infielder Drake Wawro leads the squad with a .400 batting average and a .500 on-base percentage, going 4-of-10 from the plate with two walks and a 1.000 fielding percentage.
- Junior catcher/designated hitter Isaiah Grancorvitz paces BSU with six RBI, six walks, and four extra-base hits.
- Senior pitcher Jesse Palafox holds a 4.15 earned run average in three starts and 13.0 innings pitched, and ranks 16th in the NSIC with 12 strikeouts.
- BSU enters the season after being selected to finish 14th overall in the 2019 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Preseason Baseball Coaches’ Poll.
- BSU returns 13 position players, six relief pitchers, and four starting pitchers from last season.
- Palafox and Grancorvitz were selected as BSU’s Players to Watch for the upcoming season.
- BSU is led by 14th year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 211-420-1 record overall. Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 87 wins for the program’s most victories by a head coach.
- Former Beaver Baseball student-athlete and assistant coach Matt Ellinghuysen rejoins the coaching staff in 2019 in the same position. He spent the last two seasons at Southwest Minnesota State University after spending the 2014-16 seasons as Bellew’s top assistant.
- The Vikings received votes in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Division II Poll while entering the NSIC schedule with a 7-5 record overall.
- Augustana is led by 11th year head coach Tim Huber, who has totaled a career record of 365-189 since taking over as head coach in 2009. Before joining Augie, Huber recorded an overall record of 98-71-1 at Dakota County Technical College.
- The Vikings are coming off a National Championship and an NSIC Tournament Championship in 2018.
- As a team, Augustana ranks fifth in the NSIC hitting .290 from the plate with 94 runs scored, which ranks second in the league, with a .398 slugging percentage and a .399 on-base percentage.
- The Vikings have two hitters among the top 13 in the conference, batting at least .404 from the plate. Riley Johnson is hitting .426 to rank ninth while Ryan Nickel is hitting .404 to rank 13th. Johnson also ranks third with 19 runs scored while Jordan Barth ranks tied for fourth with 17 RBI.
- Augie’s pitching staff leads the NSIC with a .218 opposing batting average and ranks third with a 4.78 ERA.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).