BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University football team (2-6; 2-6 NSIC, 0-4 NSIC North) welcomes its second nationally-ranked opponent Nov. 2, as No. 21 St. Cloud State University (7-1; 7-1, 3-1 NSIC North) visits Chet Anderson Stadium for a 1 p.m. Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference North contest. The game also serves as Senior Day for 14 BSU student-athletes.
2-6; 2-6 NSIC, 0-4 North
Head Coach: Jeff Tesch
At BSU: 115-77 (18th)
Career: 115-77 (18th)
VS SCSU: 2-3
No. 21 St. Cloud State
7-1; 7-1 NSIC, 3-1 North
Head Coach: Scott Underwood
At SCSU: 46-19 (6th)
Career: 46-19 (6th)
VS BSU: 3-2
Local Radio: 92.1 FM The River • PBP: Brian Schultz • Color: Brian Bissionette
Internet Audio: http://www.wmisfm.com/
Local Television: KBSU Ch. 17 • PBP: Scott Williams • Color: Brett Leach
Internet Video: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/bsu.portal
Live Stats: http://www.bsubeavers.com/multimedia/gameday/
Series History: SCSU, 35-18-3 • In Bemidji: SCSU, 15-12 • Last Five: SCSU, 3-2
Last Time: BSU, 37-20 • Oct. 27, 2012 • St. Cloud, Minn.
MILESTONE WATCH: Senior running back Avery Walker owns 926 yards this season. He is 74 yards shy of reaching the 1,000 yard mark for 2013 to become the first single-season 1,000 yard runner for BSU since 2004 when Tyler Olson rushed for 1,234 yards - he reached the plateau in his ninth game of the season. Only nine times has a running back reached 1,000 yards in a season at BSU since 1971.
His 1,198 career yards is 99 yards shy of eclipsing the career top 10 at Bemidji State. He is chasing Ed Acosta (1976, 1,296 yards) for 10th.
• Sophomore linebacker Connor Quinn was named NSIC Defensive Player of the Week after 10 tackles (3.0 for loss) and a fumble recovery for a touchdown at Winona State (Sept. 5).
• With 58 tackles (22 solo) in 2013, he is third in the NSIC and tied for 42nd nationally in tackles per game (9.7 tpg). He has scored twice, adding an interception for a touchdown against Southwest Minnesota State (Sept. 28).
• Senior K/P Zach Pulkinen was named NSIC Special Teams Player of the Week after his performance against Southwest Minnesota State Sept. 28, which included the game-winning field goal (37 yards) with 48 seconds left in regulation.
• Pulkinen sits second in the NSIC in punting average. His 41.9 yards per punt also ranks 20th in the nation.
• Senior running back Avery Walker sits sixth in rushing in the NSIC with 117.0 yards per game (21st nationally). His 128.0 all-purpose yards ranks eighth in the league.
• Junior safety Scott Christensen is sevnth in the NSIC in tackles per game with 8.3 (43-29=58). He is first among defensive backs and his 43 solo tackles is also first in the NSIC (45th nationally).
• Senior corner Larry Miller’s nine passes defended is tied for sixth in the NSIC (fourth most) and stands as a career-high.
• Redshirt freshman Kameel Al-Khouri ranks ninth in the conference in punt return average with a 3.8 yards per return mark.
• BSU ranks fourth nationally in fewest penalty yards per game (24.5 ypg) and fifth in fewest penalties per game (3.3 per game).
• Both of the Beavers’ wins have come as the result of a fourth quarter comeback. BSU is now 10-45 since 1999 when trailing after the third.
• BSU won 41-40 against Southwest Minnesota State (Sept. 28) to improve to 28-2 when scoring 40-49 points and 3-13 when allowing 40-49 points since 1999.
• With a 34-27 overtime victory at Winona State Sept. 5, BSU improved to 5-2 when playing an extra session under head coach Jeff Tesch.
• The Beavers will not have a home winning record for the first time in 11 seasons and for just the fourth time (includes a 2-2 season) since Tesch was hired as head coach in 1996.
Year - Home Record
1996 - 1-4
1997 - 2-2
2001 - 1-3
2013 - 1-3
• The Beavers will suffer its first losing season since 2008 (5-6) and second in the last 14 years. The Beavers went 2-8 in each of Tesch’s first two seasons (1996 and 1997).
For more information on the Bemidji State football program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BemidjiStateFB or @BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/bsubeaverfootball or facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Mulitmedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).