BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University football opens its 2019 home schedule at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 12 with a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference North Division matchup against University of Mary. The Beavers aim to start the season 2-0 for the second straight season during Midco Sports’ Thursday Night Football spotlight.
- Bemidji State leads the all-time series against UMary, 9-4.
- BSU has won five straight and nine of the last 11 versus UMary.
- The Beavers and Marauders first met Oct. 7, 2006, a 27-21 win by UMary in Bismarck, N.D.
- The only shutout in the series was won by BSU, 66-0, in the second game of the 2018 season.
- Bemidji State opened the 2019 schedule with a 33-7 win on the road against Northern State University.
- The Beavers pulled away to a 33-0 lead before giving up its first points in the fourth quarter. After a 10-play, 80-yard opening drive by the offense, the “Gang Green” defense forced interceptions on back-to-back possessions that both led to touchdowns and a 19-0 lead. BSU added two passing touchdowns in the third quarter on its way to its fifth straight victory against Northern State.
- After receiving a medical redshirt last season, freshman quarterback Brandon Alt threw four touchdowns in the 2019 opener, becoming the first BSU quarterback to do so since Lance Rongstad in 2012.
- Sophomore tight end Bryce Duffy opened the game’s scoring with an 18-yard touchdown reception on a fourth-down play. Sophomore running back Jalen Frye added BSU’s second touchdown of the game midway through the opening quarter and finished as the game’s leading rusher with 72 yards on 18 carries. Junior wide receiver Malik Williams began his career day with the first of two touchdowns catches late in the first quarter while finished with eight catches for 64 yards and two touchdowns. Freshman wide receiver DJ Johnson capped BSU’s offensive attack with a 13-yard touchdown reception. Sophomore wide receiver Brendan Beaulieu helped spread the field with two catches for 71 yards, both receptions going for at least 30 yards.
- The “Gang Green” defense continued its dominance with turnovers early against Northern State, recording four total turnovers and two in the first quarter that led to two BSU offensive touchdowns.
- Junior linebacker Gabe Ames recorded the first pick of the game that was returned for 46 yards and finished with six tackles. Senior defensive back Michael Junker moved into a tie for eighth all-time at BSU with his 10th career interception while junior defensive back Jashon Roundtree pulled down his first career pick in the second half. Sophomore linebacker Zollie Kaplan led the defense with seven tackles including one sack for a loss of six yards.
- Bemidji State led the NSIC in turnovers gained and interceptions in 2018 and is first this season with four takeaways and is tied for first with three picks at Northern State.
- Bemidji State has now won five straight games against Northern State and its second consecutive season opener.
- BSU scored all of its points against NSU in the first and third quarters, continuing a trend from last season in which they scored the majority of their points in the same periods.
- Since the start of the 2017 season, BSU has outscored its opponents in the first quarter, 211-44.
- UMary Head Coach Craig Bagnell coached four seasons at BSU, including two at offensive coordinator, before joining the Marauders.
- UMary was handed a 35-12 loss in its season and home opener Thursday, Sept. 5 against (RV) St. Cloud State University.
- The Marauders out-threw the Huskies, 217-143, but accounted for just 46 rushing yards.
- SCSU jumped out to a 28-0 lead before UMary scored two third-quarter touchdowns.
- Junior quarterback Logan Nelson went 16-of-29 passing with 210 yards and one touchdown. Juniors Dylan Anthony and Richard Bendish each totaled 11 tackles and 0.5 tackles for a loss.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers or @BSUBeaversFB), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers or facebook.com/BSUBeaverFootball) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).