BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball team is set to open its 2014-15 exhibition season Nov. 9 as it travels to University of Northern Iowa. Tip off is set for 1 p.m. Sunday.
- Northern Iowa leads the Beavers 3-2 all-time that dates back to Dec. 2, 1970.
- In Cedar Falls, UNI is 3-1 and in the last five meetings they hold a 3-2 record.
- BSU’s last victory over UNI came on Jan. 28, 1973, 69-68.
- UNI head coach Ben Jacobson and Bemidji State head coach Mike Boschee were teammates at the University of North Dakota. Both were members of the 1989-90 UND men’s basketball team that was inducted into the UND Hall of Fame.
- During the 2013-14 season, the Beavers compiled an 18-9 overall record and a 15-7 record in the ever-grueling NSIC to earn a NSIC North Divisional Championship and tied for third overall.
- In the preseason coaches’ poll, the Beavers were picked to finish fifth in the NSIC North Division and 11th overall.
- Brock Lutes was selected as the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) men’s basketball North Division Preseason Player of the Year.
- Lutes is coming off a junior season in which he was named Daktronics All-Central Region Second Team, the NSIC Newcomer of the Year and All-NSIC First Team. He was the seventh player in BSU history to secure the league’s scoring title as he averaged 22.2 points per game in conference play and was honored as the NSIC Player of the Week on three occasions.
- Last season, Lutes totaled 574 points (21.3 ppg) as he ranked seventh on BSU’s single-season scoring chart. He shot 50.1 percent from the field on 207-of-413 shooting and his 21.3 points per game finished 27th in NCAA Division II.
- BSU welcomes 10 newcomers, including five transfers to the program this fall and returned six players from the 2013-14 squad. The Beavers have two seniors, five juniors, four sophomores and five freshmen.
- As a team, last season the Beavers beat their opponents in scoring (81.3 ppg), rebounds (34.9 rpg), assists (15.1 apg), steals (7.4 spg) and in blocks (2.9 bpg).
- UNI has been picked second in the preseason Missouri Valley Conference poll. UNI senior Seth Tuttle was named to the preseason All-MVC squad for the second consecutive year.
- The Panthers scored an 83-66 exhibition victory over Upper Iowa on Oct. 30. UNI's balanced offensive attack was led by Deon Mitchell (13 pts.), Wyatt Lohaus (13 pts.), Paul Jesperson (12 pts.) and Marvin Singleton (12 pts.).
- UNI returns 10 letterwinners and all five starters for the 2014-15 season.
- UNI returns 91.2 percent of its scoring and 91.4 percent of its rebounding from last season - when factoring in only MVC games, UNI returns 94.1 percent of its MVC scoring from a year ago.
- UNI’s streak of 11-straight upper-half finishes in the Missouri Valley Conference is the league’s longest active streak.
- UNI made 175 3-pointers in MVC games only last season - two short of the all-time MVC mark for 3-pointers made in league games only.
- UNI averaged 72.8 points per game in 2013-14 - the highest scoring Panther team since the 1995-96 squad averaged 77.2 points per game.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).