BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University men’s basketball team continues a seven-game home stand as it hosts Mayville State University Friday and Viterbo University Saturday. Game times are set for 8 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively.
- In the all-time series against Mayville State, the Beavers lead 48-35 with their last meeting coming Nov. 13, 2013 in Bemidji. BSU earned the win, 95-60.
- The Beavers lead 2-0 in the all-time series against Viterbo. The first time the teams met was Nov. 20, 1982 at the Wartburg Tournament, where BSU claimed a 95-87 victory.
- The last time the teams met was in La Crosse, Wis. at Viterbo Nov. 21, 2009 where the Beavers prevailed 69-44.
Bemidji State Fast Break
- Bemidji State opened the 2014-15 season with an exhibition game at University of Northern Iowa Nov. 9, where it fell 64-45.
- During the 2013-14 season, the Beavers compiled an 18-9 overall record and a 15-7 record in the ever-grueling NSIC to earn a NSIC North Divisional Championship and tied for third overall.
- The Beavers started the regular season by taking its home opener against Crown College (Nov. 14) by a final score of 100-60.
- Senior Brock Lutes led the Beavers to a 1-0 start on the season with 24 points against Crown College. Lutes shot 71.4 percent (10-14) from the field and 57.1 percent (4-7) from three-point range. He added three rebounds, two assists and one steal in 26 minutes of play.
- Kaylor Zimmerman, second in scoring, made his first appearance as a Beaver recording 13 points shooting 7-of-7 from the line and 3-of-5 from the field. He added two rebounds, two steals and one assist on the night.
- Hitting career highs in scoring were Ben Best and Shane White both with 10 points each against the Storm, while teammate Pat Fischer marked a career-high in assists with five.
- BSU finished shooting 72 percent (18-25) from the charity stripe and 60.3 percent (38-63) from the field. The Beavers outworked the Storm totaling 33 rebounds and marked 16 steals to end the night.
Scouting Mayville State
- The Comets come into Friday’s game against the Beavers holding a 3-3 overall record, going 2-0 in their last two games against Silver Lake College (Nov. 14-15).
- Chuck Robinson leads the Comets scoring totaling 92 points (15.33 PPG) shooting 55.7 percent (39-70) from the field, 1.000 percent (1-1) from three range and 61.9 percent (13-21) from the line.
- As a team, the Comets, are shooting 43.7 percent from the field (157-359), 27.7 percent (26-94) from three-point range and 69.7 percent (76-109) from the charity stripe. This season Mayville is pulling down 36.2 rebounds, three blocks and six steals per game.
Scouting Viterbo University
- Viterbo enters the weekend with a 2-3 overall record after a two-game slide against Bethel College (Nov. 15) and University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (Nov. 18).
- The V-Hawks’ leading scorer is David Shepard with 97 points (19.4 PPG), shooting 60.3 percent (38-63) from the field and 27.8 percent (5-18) from three range. He also shot 16-of-25 (64%) from the line.
- As a team, the V-Hawks are shooting 42.9 percent from the field, 31.3 percent from the arch and 68.5 percent from the charity stripe. They have charted 36.4 rebounds and 5.4 steals per game.