BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University men’s basketball team is set to end its seven game home stint as it plays host to St. Cloud State University Friday and University of Minnesota Duluth Saturday. Game times are set for 8 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively from BSU Gymnasium.
- St. Cloud State owns a 94-44 edge in a series that dates back to Jan. 6, 1922. The teams split last season with the Beavers taking the game in Bemidji, 70-65, and the Huskies earning the win in St. Cloud, 92-60.
- The Bulldogs hold an 86-43 lead in the all-time series with BSU, first meeting Feb. 21, 1931. Bemidji State is 4-1 in the last five meetings versus UMD with its last win coming Dec. 7, 2013 at home, 90-79.
BSU Fast Break
- The Beavers (5-0, 1-0 NSIC) held onto their undefeated record defeating Minnesota Morris Nov. 25, 89-67, and then hosted Minnesota Crookston Nov. 29 to open its NSIC play where they defeated the Golden Eagles, 78-50.
- Bemidji State dished out a season-high 26 assists in its win over Minnesota Morris.
- Tying a career-high point total against Minnesota Morris was Ben Best with 13 points. Best was 6-of-9 from the field and 1-of-1 from three range.
- Cody Risseeuw posted 12 points and was the rebounding leader with 10 to earn his first double-double of the season against UMM.
- Irvin Womack scored a career-high 13 points in the Beavers win over Minnesota Crookston.
- Senior Brock Lutes is averaging 20.4 points per game on the season to lead the Beavers scoring and ranks second among the NSIC leaders.
- Lutes is shooting 51.9 percent from the field while going 48.3 percent from three-range. He is also tied for second in the NSIC for three’s made with 2.8 per game.
- BSU currently leads the NSIC averaging 9.2 steals per game.
- Also in the league, the Beavers are fourth in scoring offense (82.6 PPG), fourth in assists (16.2 APG) and sixth in blocked shots (2.8 BPG).
- The Beavers are pulling down an average of 33.8 rebounds per game, including 119 defensive boards.
Scouting St. Cloud State
- The Huskies come into this match up with a 4-2 overall record, and are 1-0 in conference play. St. Cloud State earned a 69-66 win over Minnesota Duluth, and a 70-73 loss against Saint John’s University this past weekend. SCSU also took a victory over Crossroads College Tuesday night, 102-48.
- Jordan Poydras leads the SCSU offense with 12.2 points per game (73 points) as he shoots 33.9 percent (21-62) from the field and 35 percent (7-20) from the arch.
- James Fort is second on the team with 72 points (12.0 PPG) in the Huskies first six games. Fort leads the NSIC in field goal shooting percentage with a 73.7 rating and is eighth in NCAA Division II.
- Fort also leads the team in rebounding with 41 rebounds on the season (6.8 RPG), including 23 defensive boards.
- As a team, the Huskies are shooting 46.2 percent from the field and 34 percent from the three-point range to score 76.3 points per game for 10th in the league.
Scouting Minnesota Duluth
- The Bulldogs come into the weekend with a 3-4 overall record, and 0-1 start in conference play. UMD comes off a 69-66 loss to St. Cloud State, and a 56-53 loss to Northern Michigan this past week.
- Brett Ervin leads the UMD offense with 103 points (14.7 PPG) as he shoots his best 38.8 percent (33-85) from the field.
- Pierre Newton is second on the team with 93 points (13.3 PPG) and leads the team in rebounding with 42 rebounds (15.0 RPG).
- On the season, the Bulldogs are shooting 45.8 percent from the field and 31.2 percent from the three-point range.