BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University men's basketball team is set to host Minnesota State University-Mankato and Concordia University, St. Paul Jan. 16-17. BSU will host the games at Sanford Center with tip offs set for 8 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively.
- The Mavericks hold a 64-34 edge over Bemidji State in their all-time series dating back to Jan. 27, 1933. BSU is 3-2 in the last five meetings against Minnesota State with the last win Feb. 8, 2013 by a score of 82-74.
- The Beavers own a 13-12 edge over the Golden Bears in the all-time series that dates back to Jan. 15, 2000. During the 2013-14 season, BSU defeated CSP by a score of 90-77 in Bemidji, Minn. and in the last five meetings the Beavers are 2-3.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- The Beavers (7-7, 3-7 NSIC) dropped two games on the road as they fell to Minnesota Duluth (Jan. 9) in overtime 84-80 and then at St. Cloud State (Jan. 10) by a final score of 80-55.
- Clayton Elrod charted a career-high 13 points, shooting 5-of-7 from the floor against Minnesota Duluth. Elrod also went 2-of-2 from the charity stripe and pulled down two rebounds.
- Shane White recorded 12 points for is a new career-high in the loss against the Bulldogs.
- Michael Jacobson tied his career-high point total recording four points against St. Cloud State.
- Brock Lutes has paced the Beavers’ offense during the season and is now averaging 17.3 points a game.
- Lutes is shooting 42.8 percent (86-201) from the field and 34.2 percent (27-79) from beyond the arc. He also leads the team in assists with 41 for a 3.2 average.
- The Beavers rank second in the NSIC for steals (7.7 SPG) and are tied with Minnesota State for fifth in blocked shots as they average three per game.
- Leading the squad in steals is DJ Anderson with 1.6 steals per game and running the block is Dillon Floyd with an average of 0.8 per game.
Scouting Minnesota State
- Minnesota State comes to Sanford Center owning a 12-3 overall record and a 7-2 mark in conference action, good for third place.
- Last weekend the Mavericks split on the road with an 89-83 win over Wayne State College (Jan. 9) but fell at then-No. 12 Augustana College (Jan. 10) 98-89 in overtime.
- Assem Marei leads the Mavericks’ offensive front as well as the NSIC with 19.7 points per contest as he shoots a team-best 58.7 percent (121-206) from the field and has a 53.5 percent (54-101) rating from the charity stripe.
- Marei also paces the squad in blocks with 26 (1.7 BPG) and in rebounds to average 8.5 a game.
- As a team, the Mavericks are ranked first in assists (17.6 APG), second in assist/turnover ratio (1.7), third in scoring margin (+10.5), third in field goal percentage (49.3%), fourth in the league for scoring offense (81.5 PPG) and fifth in blocked shots (3.0 BPG).
Scouting Concordia-St. Paul
- The Golden Bears enter the weekend with a 9-6 record overall and a 5-4 conference record.
- CSP spilt its last NSIC series falling at then-No. 12 Augustana (Jan. 9) 80-65 but ended with an 80-69 victory over Wayne State (Jan. 10).
- Junior Cole Olstad leads Concordia-St. Paul as he averages 14.5 points a game, shoots 41.3 percent (64-155) from the field and 34.9 percent (22-63) from beyond the arc.
- Olstad also leads in steals with 24 total (1.6 SPG) in 15 games.
- The Golden Bears have outshot their opponents from the field with a 45.6 percent rating and from three-range shooting 36.5 percent.
- CSP is ranked high in a few categories amongst the NSIC including fourth in rebounding margin (+5.4), fourth in steals (6.9 SPG) and fifth in scoring margin (+6.5).