BEMIDJI, Minn. – Bemidji State University men’s basketball is set to hit the road for its final regular season Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference road series as it heads to University of Mary and Minot State University, Feb. 13-14. Game times are set for 8 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively.
- The Beavers trail U-Mary in their all-time series with an 8-10 record, dating back to Dec. 18, 1971. BSU fell earlier this season to the Marauders in Bemidji by a score of 86-80.
- In the all-time series against Minot State, BSU holds an 11-5 edge with its last win earlier this season in Bemidji by a final score of 84-76. The series dates back to Dec. 28, 1967.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- The Beavers (8-14, 4-14 NSIC) dropped two games at home last weekend against Southwest Minnesota State University, 75-71, and to University of Sioux Falls, 69-64.
- Ben Best scored a career-high 18 points and also snagged six rebounds for the Beavers against SMSU, Friday. Best shot a team-high 6-of-8 from the foul line.
- BSU outrebounded the Mustangs, pulling down 40 rebounds compared to SMSU’s 33. Christian Pekarek led the effort for the Beavers, recording a career-high nine boards.
- The bright spot in the Beavers’ offense against Sioux Falls came from freshman Clayton Elrod who led the team with 19 points, a career-best. Elrod did not just put the ball in the basket he was not able to miss as he went 5-for-5 from outside the arc and was 7-for-7 overall from the floor.
- Elrod tied his career-high in 3’s made in a game by sinking four against SMSU and shot 50 percent from behind the arc.
- DJ Anderson put a spark in the BSU offense as well against USF, scoring in key moments with a total of 14 points, which included going 3-for-3 from the foul line. Anderson was 5-of-7 from the floor.
- Pacing the offense on the season is senior Brock Lutes with a 16.6 scoring average, good for eighth in the NISC. He is shooting .429 from the floor and .331 from three-range, while dishing out 2.8 assists per contest to lead BSU.
- The Beavers are currently producing a .468 field goal percentage and a .363 shooting percentage from beyond the arc. BSU’s field goal percentage is seventh in the NSIC, while its three-point shooting ranks ninth.
- BSU also ranks in the top-10 amongst the league for steals (5th, 6.5), blocks (7th 2.8), assists (9th, 13.1) and in scoring (9th, 73.6).
- The Marauders enter the weekend holding a 6-16 overall record and a 4-14 mark in the NSIC.
- U-Mary is on a four-game slide after dropping two on the road last weekend to then-No. 18 Minnesota State University-Mankato, 82-71, and to Concordia University, St. Paul, 75-64.
- Leading the Marauders’ offense is Marquealis Edwards with a 12.9 scoring average, shooting .481 from the floor and .338 from beyond the arc. Edwards also leads the squad in assists, averaging 4.5 per game and steals with 1.6 per contest.
- Edwards ranks fourth amongst the league with his 4.5 assist average and his 1.6 steals average. His steal average lifts the Marauders to be ranked sixth in the NSIC with 6.1 steals per game.
- The Marauders are currently shooting .464 from the floor and .360 beyond the arc. U-Mary has been outrebounding its opponents, pulling down 33.3 rebounds per contest.
- U-Mary’s field goal percentage (.464) ranks them eighth in the conference and three-point percentage (.360) 10th.
Scouting Minot State
- Minot State comes into the weekend with a 12-12 overall record and a 7-11 mark in conference action, which is good for fourth place in the NSIC North.
- Last weekend, Minot State split two games on the road as they defeated Concordia-St. Paul, 99-91, but fell to then-No. 18 Minnesota State, 81-62.
- Everett Robinson paces the Beavers’ offense putting up 13.1 points per game in his 24 games this season. Robinson is shooting .564 from the floor and .385 from three-point range.
- Robinson also leads the team in rebounds with 7.3 boards per contest, to rank fourth in the NSIC, and in blocks with 0.5 per game.
- As a team, Minot State is shooting .461 from the field and .390 from the three-point line. The Beavers average 36.3 rebounds a game to outwork their opponents, which have averaged 33.1 per contest when playing Minot State.
- The Beavers’ three-point shooting percentage (.390) ranks sixth in the NSIC, while their rebounding margin (+3.2) is seventh.