BEMIDJI, Minn. – Bemidji State University men’s basketball is set to open the first round of the 2015 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) Sanford Health Tournament Wednesday night in Sioux Falls, S.D. The Beavers take on Augustana College with a tip off set for 8 p.m. from Sioux Falls Arena.
- The Beavers are 6-9 all-time against Augustana, however BSU 2-1 in the last three meetings. BSU defeated Augustana Jan. 10, 2014, 97-79 and 69-67, Jan. 11, 2013.
- When the teams met earlier this season in Sioux Falls, Augustana defeated BSU, 90-71, Dec. 12, 2014.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- The Beavers (8-18, 4-18 NSIC) ended their regular season action at home last weekend, falling to then-No. 8 Minnesota State University Moorhead, 99-61, and to Northern State University, 72-66.
- Leading the way offensively for the Beavers against MSU Moorhead was senior Brock Lutes, recording 19 points and pulling down three rebounds.
- When the Beavers were at the charity stripe they did not miss going 6-for-6 in the game for their best free throw percentage of the season.
- The Beavers two seniors, Brock Lutes and Dillon Floyd led the offense against Northern State. Lutes scored 14 points in in his 35 minutes of action and added three boards and one assist.
- Floyd racked up career-highs in three categories, points with 18, rebounds with eight and steals with four.
- Brock Lutes has paced the Beavers’ offense for most of the season averaging 16.6 points per contest, which ranks eighth in the conference.
- Lutes is shooting .425 from the floor and .326 form beyond the arc. He also leads BSU in assists, dishing out 61 (2.7) on the season and adds five blocks, 15 steals and 4.5 rebounds per game to his resume.
- As a team, BSU ranks sixth in steals (6.3), eighth in blocks (2.7) and 10th in scoring in the NSIC with 72.6 points a game.
- Bemidji State heads to Sioux Falls currently shooting .459 from the field and is .358 from three-point land. BSU’s field goal percentage ranks 11th in the league.
- Augustana finished the 2014-15 season owning a 26-2 overall record and a 20-2 mark in the NSIC. The Vikings were undefeated at home, going 15-0 overall and 11-0 in conference play.
- Augie split its final weekend of the regular season, defeating Upper Iowa University 97-92 but fell at Winona State University, 75-72.
- Daniel Jansen and Casey Schilling lead the squad’s scoring with 19.9 and 18.3 points per game, respectively. Jansen is shooting .521 from the floor and .400 from three-range, while Schilling is .562 from the floor and .385 from the arc.
- Jansen ranks second amongst the league in scoring (19.9), second in assists (6.2), second in assist/turnover ratio (3.5) and fourth in free throw percentage (.824).
- Schilling leads the NSIC in steals (2.0), second in rebounding (7.9) and fifth in scoring (18.3).
- The Vikings are ranked first in the conference for scoring (87.6), rebounding offense (38.0), rebounding defense (29.4), rebounding margin (+8.7) and in assists (16.8), while second in scoring margin (+17.1.
- Augustana comes into the matchup shooting .504 from the field and .417 from beyond the arc, which both rank second in the NSIC.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).