BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball team plays its third game in five nights at 8 p.m. Tuesday while hosting Mayville State University. The Beavers (2-0, 0-0 NSIC) welcome in the NAIA opponent for the 84th meeting all-time.
- Bemidji State and Mayville State meet for the 84th time in the series history. BSU leads the series 49-35.
- The Beavers have won four of the last five meetings, including a 77-66 victory in the most recent matchup Nov. 21, 2014 in BSU Gymnasium. BSU extended a three-point halftime lead, 30-27, while outscoring MSU, 47-39, in the second half. The Beavers shot 50 percent (31-62) from the field and 40 percent (6-15) from behind the arc. Kaylor Zimmerman recorded 11 points, going 4-of-4 from the free throw line, while adding three rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- BSU averages 86 points per game against MSU under Head Coach Mike Boschee while allowing 63. The series took a 12-year hiatus between 2001 and 2013. Both programs had played at least once every year from 1984-2001.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State began the 2015-16 season with two home wins against Northland College, 84-55 Nov. 13, and Crown College, 86-48 Nov. 14.
- Ben Best leads the team in scoring through the first two games, averaging 15 points per game. He scored a career-high 17 points to open the season against Northland followed by 13 points against Crown. Best also added 10 rebounds, six steals and one assist over the weekend. He tied a career-high three steals in both games.
- Freshman Calvin Harrington posted a game-high 15 points against Crown while recording eight rebounds, four steals, three blocks and two assists while coming off the bench.
- Junior transfer Elijah Valdez put up 15 points in his first outing with the Beavers against Northland. He shot 38.5 percent (5-13) from the field and 40 percent (4-10) from behind the arc. Valdez also totaled three assists and one block.
- Kaylor Zimmerman set a career-high in rebounds (7) and tied a career-high in blocks (2) against Crown.
- BSU shot 45.2 percent (61-135) from the field and 28.6 percent (16-56) from 3-point through the first two games, while holding its opponents to 33 percent (36-109) from the field and 26.7 percent (12-45) from behind the arc.
- The Beavers totaled 96 rebounds compared to 67 for their opponents. Thirty-five offensive rebounds led to 34 second-chance points. BSU has earned 91 of its 170 points in the paint.
Scouting Mayville State
- Mayville State enters BSU Gymnasium after winning its most recent game, 69-67 against Mount Marty College Nov. 13.
- The Comets trailed by one point at the halftime break, 32-31, but pulled ahead in the second half for the narrow victory. MSU shot just under 50 percent from the field while outrebounding Mount Marty College, 39-32.
- Forward Chuck Robinson led all scorers with 18 points while also grabbing 11 rebounds in the win. Guard Jamal Branco followed with 17 points while adding five assists.
- The Comets enter Tuesday 3-3 while shooting 45.2 percent from the field and 28.8 percent from behind the arc. MSU averages 69.5 points and 43 rebounds per game.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).