BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball team will compete in the four-team Viterbo Classic Friday and Saturday in La Crosse, Wis. BSU (3-0, 0-0 NSIC) takes on Cardinal Stritch University (3-2, 0-1 CCAC) at 5 p.m. Friday before playing either University of Jamestown or Viterbo University Saturday.
- Bemidji State and Cardinal Stritch meet for the first time.
- Bemidji State and Jamestown would play in the 41st meeting all-time, led by BSU 26-14
- Bemidji State and Viterbo would play in the third meeting all-time, led by BSU 2-0.
- BSU and UJ have split the last four meetings, with the Beavers taking the most recent, 75-60. Nov. 29, 2010. Bemidji State began the series 13-1 before Jamestown won five straight, Dec. 30, 1978 - Jan. 21, 1982.
- The Beavers and V-Hawks last met Nov. 21, 2009, won by BSU 69-44 at the Viterbo Pepsi Tournament. The first game of the series was Nov. 20, 1982, also won by the Beavers, 95-87 at the Wartburg Tournament.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State comes off an 89-52 win at home against Mayville State University, Nov. 17.
- Christian Pekarek tied a career-high five 3-pointers, ultimately shooting 5-of-5 from behind the arc. He led the game with 18 points while missing just one shot (5-6). The junior added five assists while taking two steals.
- Four others reached double-digit scoring, including William Harvey (16), Elijah Valdez (13), Ben Best (10) and Calvin Harrington (10).
- The Beavers took advantage of 35 points off the bench and 27 points off Comets turnovers.
- Bemidji State newcomers have made an early impact in the starting lineup and from the bench. Harvey, a junior, continued to lead the team with 7.3 rebounds per game while Harrington, a true freshman, put up his second double-digit scoring output in three games. Valdez also reached double-digits twice while ranking second in 3-pointers with nine on the season.
- BSU is shooting 48.2 percent (94-195) from the field and 36.7 percent (29-79) from behind the arc.
- The Beavers are averaging 43.7 rebounds per game with 33 percent (43) coming on the offensive end.
- Through three games, Bemidji State has forced 67 turnovers and recorded 38 steals.
Scouting Cardinal Stritch
- Cardinal Stritch enters the weekend 3-2 after beating Judson University, 75-55, Nov. 18.
- The Wolves are shooting 46.6 percent (115-247) from the field, 33.7 percent (31-92) on 3-pointers and 72.9 percent (43-59) from the free-throw line.
- CSU pulls down 34 rebounds per game, while trailing in its rebound margin, -7.3.
- Tyler Semenas leads the team with 18.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game, while Matt Reinke follows in scoring with 16 per game. Brandon Moore is averaging 7.0 rebounds per game.
- Jamestown comes off a weekend split, falling to Sterling College, 76-68, Nov. 12 and beating Barclay College, 102-82, Nov. 13.
- The Jimmies were led in scoring by Brequan Tucker, who topped 20 points each game. He first went for 28 points and 10 rebounds against Sterling before adding 22 points and eight rebounds against Barclay.
- Logan Brown followed in scoring with 11- and 16-point games, while adding a total of 10 rebounds.
- Jamestown is shooting 45.6 percent (206-452) from the field and 33.9 percent (63-186) from behind the arc. The Jimmies average 36.9 rebounds per game.
- Viterbo begins the tournament with a 3-2 record after splitting its most recent games, falling to Northwestern College, 83-63, Nov. 13 and defeating Dordt College, 86-76, Nov. 14.
- The V-Hawks were led in scoring by Jared Fleischmann, who totaled seven points against Northwestern and 21 against Dordt. He shot 6-13 from the field while sinking 16-of-20 free-throw opportunities.
- Jake Bamke and Pete Drummond followed with 25 points each over the two games. During the season, Bamke leads the team with 4.6 rebounds per game while Drummond leads in scoring with 17 points per game.
- Viterbo is shooting 46.2 percent (129-279) from the field and 38.3 percent (31-81) from the perimeter. The V-Hawks average 35.2 rebounds per game, including 9.2 offensive boards.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).