BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Beavers Men’s Basketball enters its final non-conference game after sweeping two exhibition games at the Viterbo Classic. Bemidji State (3-0, 0-0 NSIC) hosts Concordia University-St. Paul, a member of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference South Division.
- Bemidji State and Concordia-St. Paul meet for the 28th game in the series, led by BSU 14-13.
- The two teams last met Jan. 17, 2015, a 70-66 win by the Golden Bears. The Beavers took a 37-29 lead to halftime, but were outscored in the second half to fall to the interdivisional opponent.
- Shane White scored a career-high 14 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the field. Kaylor Zimmerman also reached double-digits with 12 points on 4-of-10 shooting.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- The Beavers traveled for two exhibition games in the Viterbo Classic Nov. 20-21. Bemidji State first beat Cardinal Stritch University, 76-69, before taking down University of Jamestown in the tournament championship, 91-78.
- Ben Best led the Beavers over the two wins, averaging 16 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. He set a career-high 26 points against Jamestown while shooting 75 percent (12-16) from the field. Best was selected as the Viterbo Classic Tournament MVP.
- Irvin Womack was selected to the All-Tournament team after averaging 13 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. He scored 13 first-half points against Cardinal Stritch. After a strong first-half, the Beavers staved off the Wolves second-half attack.
- The Beavers took advantage of a strong second half against the Jimmies, while shooting 61.3 percent (19-31) from the field and leading in scoring, 51-39, in the final period.
- BSU averaged 31.5 points from its bench while adding 20 points per game off turnovers.
- Bemidji State forced 15 turnovers and recorded 14 assists per game.
- The Beavers are averaging 86.3 points per game on 48.2 percent (94-195) from the field. BSU is converting 36.7 percent (29-79) from behind the arc and 60 percent (42-70) from the free-throw line. Bemidji State holds a +10.7 rebound margin while averaging 43.7 boards per game.
- Best leads the team in scoring with 13.3 points per game while adding 4.7 rebounds.
- William Harvey leads the team on the boards with 7.3 rebounds per game.
- The Beavers are 4-1 in games before Thanksgiving over the past five seasons.
Scouting Concordia-St. Paul
- Concordia-St. Paul won its only game of the past weekend against St. Olaf College, 73-63, in St. Paul, Minn.
- The Golden Bears sparked a 14-4 run with four consecutive 3-pointers to take a 10-point lead midway through the first half. The run led CSP to a 12-point, 42-30, lead at halftime. St. Olaf outscored Concordia-St. Paul in the second half, 33-31, as the Golden Bears grabbed their first win of the season.
- Cole Olstad led CSP with 20 points and seven rebounds while adding three assists, two blocks and two steals. Bryndan Matthews followed with 10 points and seven rebounds.
- The Golden Bears shot 45.1 percent (23-51) from the field and 50 percent (10-20) from long-range. CSP led the rebound margin, 39-30, while getting 29 points off the bench.
- CSP averages 68.7 points per game shooting 41.3 percent (71-172) from the field. The Golden Bears are converting 40 percent (20-50) from behind the arc and 65.7 percent (44-67) from the charity stripe.
- Olstad leads the team in scoring with 18.3 points per game on 43.9 percent (18-41) from the field and 41.2 percent (7-17) from 3-point land. He also leads the team with seven rebounds per game.
- Diallo Powell follows with 8.7 points and five rebounds per game.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).