BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The 2016-17 Bemidji State University men’s basketball season tips off Friday, Oct. 28 as the program travels for an exhibition at Division I University of Northern Iowa. The Beavers and Panthers are scheduled for a 7 p.m. game time at McLeod Center which will be broadcast live on ESPN3.
- The Panthers hold a 3-2 series lead against the Beavers, including two exhibition games since 2007. The series began on Dec. 2, 1970 in Cedar Falls, Iowa, a 69-65 win by Bemidji State. Following a 69-68 win by BSU Jan. 28, 1973, UNI has earned three consecutive wins.
- The two programs last met Oct. 25, 2013 at Northern Iowa, a 71-48 win by UNI. Senior forwards Ben Best and Shane White are the only remaining pieces from the 2013-14 team. Best and White each played four minutes in the contest and both went 0-1 from the field. White pulled down three rebounds compared to one for Best.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State comes off a 10-17 overall record during the 2015-16 season and return four starters. Five letterwinners in total return for the 2016-17 season while seven newcomers join the program.
- Best, White and senior forward Will Harvey were selected as the 2016-17 team captains.
- The Beavers finished the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference schedule 7-15, including a 4-10 record in the NSIC North Division.
- Head Coach Mike Boschee enters his fifth season with the program after totaling a 54-57 record with the Beavers and a 179-182 career record in 13 seasons as a head coach. Assistant coach Matt Majkrzak, in his third season with BSU, was promoted to the top assistant position while assistant coach Blake Peterson begins his first season with the team after graduating from Minnesota State University Mankato in 2015.
- Best led the Beavers in four categories during the 2015-16 season, including points per game (11.8), total rebounds (138), blocks (22) and field goal percentage (.523). He averaged 26 minutes of action per game while totaling a .704 free throw percentage, 37 assists and 16 steals. His field goal percentage ranked him 15th in the NSIC and his blocked shots ranked him ninth.
- Harvey led the team in rebounds per game (5.2) and ranked second in field goal percentage (.510), 3-point percentage (.400) and total rebounds (131). He averaged 10.4 points in 19.9 minutes per game while blocking 15 shots.
- White started two of 20 games played in and averaged 9.9 minutes per game. He recorded 1.4 points per game on a .379 field goal percentage while averaging 2.2 rebounds per game as a key reserve.
- Best and Harvey each earned NSIC Player of the Week honors once last season.
- The Beavers ranked seventh in the NSIC last season in scoring defense, allowing 76.6 points per game.
Scouting Northern Iowa
- Northern Iowa enters the 2016-17 season following a 23-13 campaign in 2015-16, which included a 3-0 run through the Missouri Valley Conference tournament.
- The Panthers return two starters and five letterwinners while bringing on seven newcomers.
- Senior guard Jeremy Morgan returns as UNI’s leading scorer with 11.3 points per game. He scored the most points ever for a UNI player in an NCAA Tournament game with 36 points vs. Texas A&M University and earned honorable mention All-MVC honors.
- Junior forward Bennett Koch earned a spot on the MVC’s Most Improved Team after averaging 7.6 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.
- Junior forward Klint Carlson earned a spot on the MVC’s All-Bench Team after scoring 7.4 points per game and pulling down 3.6 rebounds per game. Carlson set a career-high 17 points in the MVC Tournament title game win.
- Head Coach Ben Jacobson enters his 11th season leading the Panther program with a career record of 220-118. Jacobson has guided UNI to four NCAA Tournaments and has posted a record of 4-4 in those appearances. Jacobson ranks second in MVC history with four tournament titles.
- The Panthers made their seventh appearance since 2004 in the NCAA Tournament last season, grabbing their fifth NCAA Tournament victory with a 75.72 win over No. 6-seeded University of Texas.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).