BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball team opens its home schedule in the 40th meeting all-time with University of Wisconsin-Superior on Saturday, Nov. 26. The Beavers (0-3) and Yellowjackets tip-off at 4 p.m., leading a doubleheader with the BSU women’s basketball team.
The Series vs. Wisconsin-Superior
- BSU and UWS have met 39 times prior to Saturday’s game, with Bemidji State leading the all-time series, 21-18.
- The two programs last met Nov. 6, 2010, an 87-72 win by the Beavers. BSU has won five of the last six and 13 of the last 16 against UWS. The Beavers and Yellowjackets first met Dec. 14, 1933 and saw each other every season between 1954-1963.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State lost 70-58 at Concordia University-St. Paul Nov. 17 in a non-conference meeting between Nothern Sun Intercollegiate Conference members.
- Freshman guard Jai’Vionne Green led the team for the second time in three games with a career high 20 points against the Golden Bears. He shot 7-of-15 from the field and 3-of-7 from 3-point range. He also led the team with a career high eight rebounds.
- Junior guard Sharif Black also reached double-digit scoring with 10 against CSP. The transfer was also active on the boards, pulling down six rebounds to follow Green’s lead for the team.
- BSU led 18-17 nearly nine minutes into the game, but CSP went on an 11-3 run to gain momentum heading towards the end of the half. The Golden Bears ended the first half with a 38-31 lead and opened the second half with a 15-0 run. The Beavers missed 12 consecutive shots from the field and trailed 57-33 nearly eight minutes into the half.
- Bemidji State was originally scheduled to host Northland College on Friday, Nov. 18 but a snow storm created poor travel conditions, which forced the two programs to reschedule the game. The Beavers and LumberJacks will now play Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 6 p.m. from BSU Gymnasium.
- Head Coach Mike Boschee is in his fifth season with the program after totaling a 54-60 record with the Beavers and a 179-185 career record in 14 seasons as a head coach. Assistant coach Matt Majkrzak, in his third season with BSU, was promoted to the top assistant position while assistant coach Blake Peterson begins his first season with the team after graduating from Minnesota State University Mankato in 2015.
- Wisconsin-Superior enter Saturday’s game with two consecutive losses, most recently to University of Wisconsin-Stout, 95-60, on Nov. 22. The Yellowjackets lost the battle of rebounds, 47-28, which led to being outscored by at least 17 points in each half. Freshman guard Rafael Monteiro led UWS in scoring for the third game with 15 points.
- Wisconsin-Superior split its previous weekend of action at the Merrill Thompson Tip-Off Weekend, taking down Hamline University, 86-82 on Nov. 18, and falling to University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 95-74 on Nov. 19.
- Despite a 39-34 halftime deficit to Hamline, UWS was able to win the second half by a 52-43 margin for the comeback victory. Three Yellowjackets finished with at least 19 points, including 21 second half points by sophomore guard Montroy Scott. Wisconsin-Superior trailed again after the first half to Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 50-45, but were held in check during the second half, 45-29. Wisconsin-Eau Claire shot more than 56 percent in each half while holding Wisconsin-Superior to 41.4 percent shooting from the field in the second half.
- The Yellowjackets average 46.4 percent shooting from the field and 37.1 percent on 3-pointers. They grab 30.5 rebounds per game and give away less than 14 turnovers per game. Monteiro leads the team in scoring with 19.5 points per game, followed by Scott with 14.0. Three scorers average at least 10 points per game.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).