BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program hosts NSIC South opponents Concordia University-St. Paul and Minnesota State University, Mankato Feb. 8-9 at BSU Gymnasium. The Beavers host the Golden Bears at 7:30 p.m. Friday and the Mavericks at 5:30 p.m. Saturday following the conclusion of the women’s basketball games.
vs. Concordia-St. Paul
- Bemidji State and Concordia-St. Paul hold a 16-16 tie in the series record heading into the 33rd game of the series Friday.
- The Beavers have won two straight meetings against the Golden Bears, including an 82-76 victory last season in St. Paul.
- Sophomore forward Derek Thompson and junior forward Logan Bader led the way last season with at least 14 points each on 5-of-11 shooting from the field. They both converted 4-of-7 shots from 3-point range and pulled down six rebounds.
- Bemidji State and Concordia-St. Paul first met Jan. 15, 2000, a 51-49 victory by the Golden Bears in St. Paul.
vs. Minnesota State
- Minnesota State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 69-35.
- The Mavericks have won three straight games against the Beavers, including an 87-70 victory in Mankato, Minn.
- Bader, Baumgartner and Thompson combined for 21 points in last season’s matchup. As a team, BSU shot 47.5 percent (28-59) from the field, 27.3 percent (6-22) from long range and 53.3 percent (8-15) from the free throw line.
- The series began Jan. 27, 1933, a 24-23 win by MSU in Bemidji. Minnesota State won the first four games of the series while Bemidji State won two of the next three games.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State took its second road split in a row with a 76-73 win at University of Sioux Falls and an 84-62 loss at Southwest Minnesota State University.
- After a 10-point lead at halftime, BSU held off USF with a combined 45 points from junior guard Ja Morgan and sophomore forward Derek Thompson. As a team, BSU shot 48.0 percent from the field, 36.7 percent from 3-point range and 85.0 percent from the free throw line while outrebounding USF, 34-29.
- Thompson led BSU with 24 points on 8-of-17 shooting from the field with seven rebounds, two assists, one steal and one block. Morgan followed with 21 points on 6-of-11 shooting from the field and 8-of-9 from the free throw line.
- The Beavers closed an early gap against the Mustangs but were outscored in the second half, 45-29. BSU shot 40.4 percent from the field, 24.0 percent from long range and 66.7 percent from the free throw line and outrebounded SMSU, 41-27.
- Junior forward Logan Bader led BSU with 12 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the field while Morgan, Thompson and sophomore forward Zach Baumgartner scored 10 points each.
- On the season, Thompson leads the squad with 15.9 points per game, good for 13th in the conference, with seven games of at least 22 points. He also paces the team on the boards with 6.6 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the NSIC, and has four double-doubles. Thompson ranks fifth in the NSIC in field goal percentage at .561. Sophomore guard Jacob Hoffman ranks second in the NSIC shooting 50.0 percent from beyond the arc. Morgan paces the league with 6.4 assists per game and holds an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.2.
Scouting Concordia-St. Paul
- Concordia-St. Paul saw a first half lead disappear in a 90-79 loss to Northern State University on Friday before falling to Minnesota State University Moorhead, 102-90, on Saturday.
- CSP connected on a combined 46.8 percent from the floor and 43.5 percent from 3-point range while their opponents finished at 53.7 percent and 50.0 percent, respectively, on the weekend.
- Concordia-St. Paul won the battle in the paint over the two games as they outscored their opponents, 66-60, and also held a 19-16 edge in offensive rebounds.
- Bryndan Matthews scored at least 20 points in both games on the weekend to finish with a team-high 24.0 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game on 54.8 percent shooting from the field. Isaiah McKay put up 22.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists in his 29.0 minutes of action per game over the weekend.
Scouting Minnesota State
- Minnesota State owns a 15-7 record overall and an 11-5 mark in NSIC play after an 88-87 win against MSU Moorhead and an 88-80 loss to Northern State last weekend.
- As a team, Minnesota State shot 47.7 percent from the field and 72.2 percent from the free throw line over the weekend.
- Minnesota State has won three of its last four games while four Mavericks are averaging at least 12 points per game this season.
- Cameron Kirksey averaged 34.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game while shooting 67.5 percent from the field, 58.3 percent from long range and 77.8 percent from the free throw line. Kevin Krieger totaled 12.0 points and 8.5 rebounds per game while shooting 45.5 percent from the floor.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).