BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University softball team gets ready for its first action in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Softball Tournament since 2008. The Beavers (31-17, 14-11 NSIC) earned the eighth seed in the tournament and open the tournament against ninth seeded Northern State University, Thursday.
Bemidji State Notes
- Bemidji State wrapped-up a record setting regular season this past week by going 4-2.
- The Beavers started off with a sweep of Minot State in their final home series.
- BSU then had the program's longest win streak broken after falling in two games at Northern State.
- BSU previously won eight games in a row before the loss breaking a school record of seven games in 1984.
- The Beavers finish the regular season with a 31-17 (14-11 NSIC) record and the first time in program history achieving the 30-win mark.
- BSU earns the eighth seed in the NSIC Softball Tournament, marking the first time since 2008 that the Beavers have made the tournament.
- Jessica Burlingame set the school record for most hits in a season (56) against MSU-Moorhead, April 23.
- Freshman Kelsey McAllister’s batting average of .375 is tied for the sixth best in school history. McAllister also totaled the 11 doubles during the season tied for fourth most in school history.
- Lyndsey Peterson and Jessica Yost each had one of the best seasons at BSU in driving runs as Yost tied for the second most in school history with 33 and Peterson broke the school record with 35.
- Yost also scored the most runs in a season after reaching home plate 36 times.
- Three Beavers broke the single-season home run mark and Lyndsey Peterson, Jessica Yost and Kelsey McAllister are each tied with 10 home runs.
- Jessica Yost and Jenna Massingill had dominant season’s in the circle and both earned spots in the BSU record book.
- Yost set a school record with 17 wins this season while Massingill is tied for third after earning 12 wins.
- Yost became the first-ever pitcher to reach 200 strikeouts in a season and shattered her previous record of 185 set in 2015.
- Massingill also draws near to the 200 K mark and ranks third with 173 strikeouts this season.
- The pair has also put up record seasons in ERA and Yost ranks fourth with an ERA of 1.82 and Massingill follows in seventh with an ERA of 2.16.
Yost Named to All-NSIC Second Team
Bemidji State University softball junior, Jessica Yost has been named to the All-Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Second Team, Wednesday. Yost led the Beavers this season by setting a program record in wins (17), strikeouts (249) and runs scored at the plate (36).
About The Tournament
The 2016 NSIC Softball Tournament will be held at Sherman Park in Sioux Falls, S.D. Sherman Park fields A and B will play host to the double-elimination tournament, which will consist of the top ten teams in the final NSIC standings. The tournament will begin on Thursday, April 28 and run through Saturday, April 30.
The NSIC Softball Tournament Champion will earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Central Region Tournament, played May 6-8 followed by the NCAA Super Region played May 13-14 on a campus to be determined.
For more information on the Bemidji State University softball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@Beaver_Softball or @BSUBeavers) or like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).