BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University softball team kick starts its 2019 season this week by traveling to West St. Paul, Minn. to co-host the Dragon/Beaver Battle at the West St. Paul Dome. The Beavers will face Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference opponents University of Minnesota Crookston, Minnesota State University Moorhead and Southwest Minnesota State University in non-conference action.
The Beavers begin the tournament Tuesday, Feb. 12 and will face Minnesota Crookston and Southwest Minnesota State at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., respectively. BSU will then face MSU-Moorhead and Minnesota Crookston on the final day Feb. 13 at 9 and 11 a.m.
Beavers picked to finish 14th in NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll
The Beavers were selected to finish 14th in the 2019 NSIC standings after the NSIC Preseason Softball Coaches’ Poll was announced Jan. 23. The Beavers garnered 62 points in the poll while seniors Makayla Pagel and Rochelle Koshalek were tabbed as the Beavers’ Preseason Players to Watch.
- The Bemidji State University softball team returns seven starters and 12 letterwinners from a 2018 season that saw the Beavers go 17-27 and finish 14thin the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference with a 6-16 league record.
- Returning to the 2019 Beaver squad for their senior seasons are Makayla Pagel, Brooke Phillips, Jessica Burlingame, Rochelle Koshalek, Megan Castor and Kelsey McAllister while three newcomers, Elaina Christiansen, Samantha Edlund and Kaidron McClafferty, join the team.
- The Beavers return its top four hitters from last season in Pagel, Phillips, Burlingame and McAllister, who was selected to the NSIC All-Second Team after batting .313 with a .429 slugging percentage with seven doubles and two homeruns.
- Bemidji State returns all three of its starting pitchers in Stephi Dullum, Koshalek and Megan Pehrson.
- Dullum led the Beavers with a 3.98 ERA and 8-11 record in 24 appearances while Koshalek follows with a 4.62 ERA and 3-6 record in 16 appearances.
- Pehrson looks to build off a season where she went 4-5 with a 5.04 ERA in 20 appearances.
For more information on the Bemidji State softball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeaversSB), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).