BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University women’s basketball team hits the road for the first time in 2017 to face Minot State University Jan. 20 and University of Mary, Jan. 21. The Beavers (5-11, 2-10 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference) face the Beavers of MiSU (3-15, 1-11 NSIC) and the Marauders (9-11, 4-8 NSIC) in North Dakota for the first of two season meetings.
The Series vs. Minot State
- Bemidji State and Minot State face-off for the 15th time in the “Beaver Bash”, a Highway 2 rivalry that began with a 77-74 win by MiSU Dec. 9, 1988. Minot State leads the all-time series, 10-4, and have won the previous six meetings. MiSU swept BSU last season with an 80-49 win in Minot, N.D., and a 66-58 victory in Bemidji. Senior Aimee Pelzer led BSU last season averaging 15.5 points per game against the Beavers. Senior guards Hanna Zerr and Tatum Sheley also averaged double-digit scoring with 12.0 and 11.5 points per game, respectively.
The Series vs. U-Mary
- The Beavers and Marauders began their all-time series Nov. 30, 1984, an 80-75 win by BSU, before taking a 22-year break between meetings. U-Mary leads the series record, 16-4, and have won three straight against BSU. U-Mary took the first meeting of the 2015-16 season, 71-66, in Bismarck, N.D, and the second meeting, 75-67, in Bemidji. Pelzer again led BSU with 21.5 points per game against U-Mary. Zerr and Sheley also averaged double-digit scoring with 16.5 and 12.5 points per game, respectively.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State went 1-2 over its previous week of action, falling to University of Minnesota Crookston and University of Sioux Falls before taking an 82-66 win over Southwest Minnesota State University.
- The Beavers took a lead into halftime but couldn’t hold off the Golden Eagles in an 83-75 loss in the Sanford Center Series finale. BSU rode the scoring performances of senior guards Allison Cordes and Aimee Pelzer to the lead at the break, as each reached double-digit scoring in the first half. UMC outscored BSU, 41-30, in the second half to take the season sweep.
- Pelzer led all scorers with 21 points and tied a career-high eight assists. She began the night with three 3-pointers in the first quarter and finished with seven fourth-quarter points. Cordes came alive in the second quarter, sinking four-of-four from beyond the arc, before finishing the game with 14 points. Junior center Sierra Senske also recorded 14 points on five-for-nine shooting from the floor.
- The Beavers finished the night with 21 assists to nine turnovers on 29 successful field goals from the field.
- The Beavers were able to control the Cougars on the scoreboard through three of four quarters, but allowed USF to outscore them, 22-16, in the second. Facing a 38-26 deficit, BSU went on a 19-3 run from the third into the fourth quarter to take its largest lead of the night, 45-41, with 5:39 in the game. The Cougars ended the game on a 14-2 run while holding the Beavers to one-for-seven shooting and four turnovers in the final minutes.
- Senske led BSU with 13 points and finished as the only Beaver with double-digit scoring. Sheley followed Senske with eight points while Pelzer and freshman guard Erica Gartner each scored seven.
- BSU fell for the first time while outshooting an opponent, as the Beavers finished shooting 37.5 percent to 35.7 for the Cougars.
- The Beavers showed great ball movement in their 82-66 win over the Mustangs, recording assists on 25 of 28 total team field goals. BSU built a 50-30 lead at halftime behind the shooting and play-making of Pelzer. She finished the game with 12 points, all scored in the first half. SMSU outscored BSU, 36-32, in the second half to keep the Beavers on their toes through the final minutes.
- Pelzer and Sheley combined for 17 of BSU’s 25 assists, as both recorded career highs. Pelzer topped her mark with nine assists while Sheley totaled eight. Senske led all scorers with 19 points on 7-for-12 shooting from the floor and grabbed six rebounds.
1,000 Point Watch (Career Totals)
- Tatum Sheley - 974 points
- Sierra Senske - 933 points
- Aimee Pelzer - 931 points
- Hanna Zerr - 832 points
Scouting Minot State
- Minot State fell for the 10th and 11th times this season in road losses to Minnesota State University, Mankato, 71-59, and Concordia University-St. Paul, 62-53. The Beavers enter this weekend with a 3-15 overall record and 1-11 mark in NSIC play. After falling into a hole through the first three quarters against the Mavericks, the Beavers won the fourth quarter, 19-9. The Golden Bears outscored the Beavers, 18-10, in the third quarter to take a 12-point lead heading into the fourth. MiSU cut the lead to six multiple times before time ran out.
- Kari Clements finished with 21 total points on the weekend, hitting three 3-pointers and all four free throws. She pushed her free throw total to 51-of-59 on the season for 86.4 percent from the charity stripe. Madison Wald scored a team-high 18 points, making three 3-pointers and 7-of-12 from the field, in the loss at CSP. Kristal Flowers finished with a double-double of 11 rebounds and 10 points at CSP and combined for 16 rebounds and 15 points on the weekend.
- U-Mary enters the weekend with a 9-11 overall record and 4-8 mark in conference games after falling at Concordia-St. Paul, 78-68, and Minnesota State, 77-52. Freshman Gabbie Bohl (16 points), Lauren Rotunda (14) and Cassie Askvig (11) combined to score 41 of the Marauders’ 68 points against the Golden Bears.
- Freshman center Gabbie Bohl posted her second double-double of the season with 16 points and 11 rebounds at CSP. She just missed another double-double by one rebound with 13 points and nine boards at MSU. Bohl went 10-for-12 at the free throw line during both games. Freshman guard Lauren Rotunda reached double-figure scoring in both games, scoring 14 points at CSP and 11 at MSU.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).