BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University women’s basketball team heads into the holiday break after facing University of Minnesota Crookston Saturday, Dec. 16 at BSU Gymnasium. The Beavers and Golden Eagles face-off at 2 p.m. for the first time this season and for the 41st time ever, with the record led all-time by BSU, 21-19.
- Minnesota Crookston has taken the last four meetings against Bemidji State and five of the last six since Nov. 29, 2014.
- The Golden Eagles swept the Beavers last season with wins of 80-68 Dec. 15, 2016 in Crookston, Minn., and 83-75 Jan. 10, 2017 in Bemidji, Minn.
- Senior center Sierra Senske averaged 11.5 points per game against UMC to lead all BSU returners from last season. She was one point shy of a double-double Dec. 15 against UMC, as she pulled down 13 rebounds, 10 on the defensive side. Senske averaged 8.5 rebounds per contest against the Golden Eagles last season.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- BSU was swept with losses of 65-55 at No. 14 Northern State University and 70-47 at (RV) Minnesota State University Moorhead during its last weekend road trip.
- Despite the Beavers outscoring the Wolves, 26-14, in the fourth quarter to begin the weekend, they faced a 51-29 deficit heading into the final period. The Beavers shot 29.3 percent from the field and 32.3 percent from beyond the arc, and scored 35 points off the bench.
- Bemidji State was outscored by five points in each of the first and second quarters against MSU Moorhead before again being outscored by two points in the third and 11 in the fourth. BSU shot 29.8 percent from the floor and 35.0 percent from long range, and totaled 29 bench points led by sophomore center Sydney Arrington with a team-high 15.
- Arrington led BSU in scoring over the weekend while averaging 8.5 points per game on 41.2 percent shooting.
- Junior forward Emma Rappe averaged 8.0 points and 3.0 rebounds per game off the bench.
- Freshman guard Brooklyn Bachmann continues to lead BSU in rebounds after grabbing 5.5 per game over the weekend.
- The Beavers rank 11th in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference with 65.4 points allowed per game and 15th with 57.0 points for per game. Bemidji State’s 3-point defense is one of the best in the league, as the program ranks fourth while allowing 26.7 percent of shot from beyond the arc.
- Bachmann leads BSU in points, rebounds, assists and steals per game while tying for 17th in the conference with 12.4 points per game. She also ranks among the top 20 in steals per game, coming in 15th with 1.4 takeaways per game.
Scouting Minnesota Crookston
- Minnesota Crookston split its last weekend of action to nab its first win of the season. UMC opened its weekend with a 69-65 victory at (RV) MSUM before falling 75-50 to No. 14 NSU.
- The Golden Eagles overcame a third quarter comeback to upend the Dragons on the road. The victory over MSU Moorhead was the first at Alex Nemzek Fieldhouse for Minnesota Crookston since Dec. 10, 2011. The Golden Eagles have now taken 4-of-8 games against the Dragons.
- UMC trailed by 10 points at halftime before NSU won the last two quarters by a margin of 41-26.
- Senior guard Micaela Noga averaged 14.5 points and 5.5 rebounds on the weekend. Noga shot 43.5 percent from the field and 87.5 percent from the free throw line.
- Junior forward Isieoma Odor tallied 13.0 points per game on 60.0 percent shooting from the field.
- Freshman guard Abby Guidinger notched nine points and five rebounds in her return from injury Saturday against NSU.
- The Golden Eagles rank 14th in the league with 58.6 points per game and 13th with 69.1 points allowed per game. A 38.9 percent shooting clip ranks UMC 10th in the NSIC while its field goal defense ranks 14th at 41.2 percent allowed.
- Minnesota Crookston’s long-range shooting will face a tough test against Bemidji State’s fourth ranked 3-point defense, as UMC ranks last at 24.1 percent.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).