BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University women’s basketball will honor three senior student-athletes as the program hosts its final home games of the season Feb. 9-10 at BSU Gymnasium. The Beavers open the weekend Friday at 6 p.m. against the Dragons of Minnesota State University Moorhead followed by Senior Day at 4 p.m. against the Wolves of Northern State University.
- Bemidji State continues the longest series in program history against MSU Moorhead, led by MSUM, 66-39. The Beavers won five of the first nine games of the series that began in 1967. The last BSU win came Dec. 2, 2011, 75-68, in Moorhead, Minn. MSUM has won 12 straight games against BSU, including a 70-47 victory Dec. 9 in the first game of the season series.
- Sophomore center Sydney Arrington led BSU with 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting from the field while coming off the bench. The Beavers bench outscored the starters, 29-18, as junior forward Emma Rappe came off the bench for nine points.
- Bemidji State and Northern State meet for the 67th time in the series, led by NSU, 56-10. BSU won four of the first five games that began Jan. 24, 1986. The last Beavers win came Jan. 26, 2013, 64-57, in Bemidji. The Wolves have won the last eight meetings, including a 65-55 win Dec. 8 in the first game of the season series.
- Freshman guard Brooklyn Bachmann led BSU with 13 points in the first game of the season series, including three 3-pointers, and came one rebound shy of a double-double. Sophomore guard McKayla Scheuer put in three 3-pointers for nine points while freshman guard Maria Appicelli scored eight points, both coming off the bench.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State took a sweep at home with a 77-52 loss against Wayne State College and an 87-50 loss to No. 7 Augustana University. The Beavers are currently on a 12-game losing streak. The last time BSU went on a losing streak of at least 12 games was during the 2008-09 season in which it lost 19 straight.
- Wayne State outscored Bemidji State in every quarter while the Beavers scored over half its points from off the bench. BSU shot 35.7 percent from the floor, 27.3 percent from beyond the arc and 64.3 percent from the free throw line and allowed 23 points off 23 turnovers.
- Senior center Sierra Senske and freshman center Taylor Bray led BSU with 10 points each, as both made four shots from the field and two shots from the free throw line. Senske and senior guard Mikayla Larson each led the team with six rebounds, leading to a team total of 38.
- The Beavers faced a tough defense in the full-court press of the Vikings Saturday while allowing Augustana to score 40 points off 26 turnovers. BSU shot 40.0 percent from the floor, 41.2 percent from long range and 50.0 percent from the free throw line.
- Senske and sophomore guard McKayla Scheuer each scored seven points to lead the team in scoring, while Scheuer scored all seven in the fourth quarter. Freshman forward Gabby DuBois set a career-high with nine rebounds, two coming on the offensive side.
- Bemidji State’s scoring defense ranks 11th in the conference at 67.8 points allowed per game while its scoring offense ranks 15th with 56.1 points per game. The Beaver defense ranks among the top eight in both field goal percentage and 3-point percentage allowed, coming in eighth with 39.1 percent allowed from the field and seventh with 31.1 percent allowed beyond the arc.
- Bachmann leads BSU and ranks 12th in the NSIC in scoring with 13.3 points per game. Her scoring average per contest is the highest among all freshman in the NSIC. She has scored at least 20 points in six games this season. Bachmann has led BSU scoring during 11 games this season.
- Senske enters the weekend ranked 11th all-time at BSU in scoring with 1,247 points, three shy of 10th place Sherry Hill (1979-82).
- Seniors Sam Adamich, Mikayla Larson and Sierra Senske will be honored Saturday night during the team’s final home contest of the season. Senske became the 20th Beaver to ever score 1,000 career points during the 2016-17 season and has started 86 of 104 career games for BSU. Adamich joined the BSU program in 2016-17 and has started 43 of 47 career games for BSU. Larson has started every game for the Beavers this season and finishes her career after playing in 93 career games.
Scouting (RV) MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead pushed its winning streak to 13 games after road wins of 101-97 in four overtimes against Winona State University and 64-35 at Upper Iowa University. The four-overtime game against the Warriors is the longest game in NCAA DII this season and is believed to be the longest in school and NSIC history.
- MSUM had four players average in double figures for the week, including Megan Hintz with 18.5, Jacky Volkert with 15.5, Drew Sannes 14.5 and Madi Green with 13.5 points per game. MSUM outrebounded its foes 53.5-33.5 on the weekend.
- Sophomore forward Megan Hintz averaged 18.5 points and 10.0 rebounds per game, while junior guard Jacky Volkert averaged 15.5 points per game with a career-high 25 points in the win over Winona State.
Scouting Northern State
- Northern State enters the weekend second in the NSIC North Division standings after a road sweep at Upper Iowa, 68-66, and Winona State, 70-63. The Wolves finished the season 7-1 in games against NSIC South opponents.
- The Wolves shot 48.7 percent from the floor, 40.0 percent from beyond the arc and 77.4 percent from the foul line while averaging 69.0 points, 33.5 rebounds and 18.5 assists per game.
- Miranda Ristau led the team averaging 23.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game, while shooting a team-best 54.1 percent from the floor. Jill Conrad averaged 13.5 points and 4.5 rebounds per game in the two wins. Brianna Kusler and Jessi Marti dished out a team-leading nine and eight assists, respectively.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).