BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University women’s basketball program travels Feb. 16-17 to face University of Mary and Minot State University for the final regular season games of the 2017-18 season. BSU begins the weekend Friday at 6 p.m. against U-Mary in Bismarck, N.D., followed by the regular season finale Saturday at 4 p.m. against MiSU in Minot, N.D.
- The Beavers and Marauders began their all-time series Nov. 30, 1984, an 80-75 win by BSU, before taking a 22-year break between meetings. U-Mary leads the series record, 19-4, and have won six straight meetings against BSU. The Marauders took the first meeting of the 2017-18 season, 68-58, in Bemidji, Minn.
- Freshmen Brooklyn Bachmann and Gabby DuBois were the only Beavers to reach double-figure scoring, led by Bachmann with 19 points. Bachmann came up one rebound shy of a double-double while DuBois pulled down five rebounds.
- Bemidji State and Minot State face-off for the 18th time in the “Beaver Bash”, a Highway 2 rivalry that began with a 77-74 win by MiSU Dec. 9, 1988. Minot State leads the all-time series, 11-6, and won the first meeting of season series Jan. 19, 81-70.
- Bachmann led BSU with 22 points, including sinking four 3-pointers, and added five rebounds, four assists and three steals. Senior center Sierra Senske came off the bench to total 12 points on three field goals and five free throws.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State was faced with a sweep in its final home games of the season by the hands of (RV) Minnesota State University Moorhead, 76-61, and Northern State University, 89-48. The Beavers are tied to the eight seed in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference North Division standings and will travel to the NSIC South one seed Augustana University to open the conference tournament.
- The Beavers outscored the Dragons in the fourth quarter of Friday night’s weekend opener but were put in a hole early after a 22-9 deficit entering the second quarter. BSU shot 40.0 percent from the floor, 26.3 percent from beyond the arc and 72.7 percent from the free throw line, while scoring 32 points off the bench.
- Bachmann led BSU in scoring with 15 points and came one rebound shy of a double-double, while adding three assists and one steal. Senske and junior forward Emma Rappe combined for 24 points off the bench, led by Senske with 14 who moved into 10th all-time in scoring at BSU. Senior forward Sam Adamich pulled in six rebounds and finished with five points on the night.
- Bemidji State trailed Northern State by five points after the first quarter but allowed the Wolves to top at least 20 points in each of the following three quarters in the loss. Bemidji State shot 37.3 percent from the floor, 26.3 percent from long range and 55.6 percent from the charity stripe.
- Rappe led BSU with a career-high 12 points off the bench, going 4-for-7 from the floor. Senior guard Mikayla Larson and freshman guard Sydney Zerr followed Rappe with eight points each, including two 3-pointers from Zerr.
- Seniors Sam Adamich, Mikayla Larson and Sierra Senske were honored Saturday night during the team’s final home contest of the season. Senske became the 20th Beaver to ever score 1,000 career points during the 2016-17 season and has started 86 of 106 career games for BSU. Adamich joined the BSU program in 2016-17 and has started 45 of 49 career games for BSU. Larson has started every game for the Beavers this season and finishes her home career after playing in 95 career games.
- Bemidji State’s scoring defense ranks 12th in the conference at 69.0 points allowed per game while its scoring offense ranks 15th with 56.0 points per game. The Beaver defense ranks among the top nine in both field goal percentage and 3-point percentage allowed, coming in ninth with 39.9 percent allowed from the field and seventh with 31.5 percent allowed beyond the arc.
- Bachmann leads BSU and ranks 14th in the NSIC in scoring with 12.9 points per game. Her scoring average per contest is the highest among all freshman in the NSIC. She has scored at least 20 points in six games this season. Bachmann has led BSU scoring during 12 games this season.
- U-Mary was swept on the road during its last weekend at St. Cloud State University, 60-53, and at University of Minnesota Duluth, 69-66, in overtime. The Marauders currently hold a 12-14 overall record and an 8-12 mark in conference play.
- Despite a pair of losses, the Marauders have won six of their last 10 games. In the eight games prior to last weekend, U-Mary was shooting 80.5 percent from the free throw line. The Marauders finished last weekend shooting 59 percent from the charity stripe.
- Gabbie Bohl averaged 20.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game last weekend while shooting 55 percent from the field. Bohl recorded her fifth double-double of the season at SCSU with 25 points and 14 rebounds before concluding the weekend with 16 points, seven rebounds and three assists at UMD. Cassie Askvig posted her eighth double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds at UMD.
Scouting Minot State
- Minot State also took a sweep on the road to Minnesota Duluth, 70-61, and St. Cloud State, 70-61. The Beavers enter the weekend fifth in the NSIC North Division standings with a 13-11 overall record and 10-10 mark in the NSIC.
- The two losses snapped a seven-game winning streak for the Beavers. The Minot State defense collected nine steals and five blocks while forcing the Huskies and Bulldogs into a combined 21 turnovers. The Beavers outscored their opponents 54-34 in the paint. Minot State assisted on 26 of 46 field goals while shooting 43.8 percent from the floor and 81 percent from the free throw line.
- Holly Johnson averaged 19.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists on the weekend while shooting 57.1 percent from the floor. Kristal Flowers notched her seventh double-double of the season with 15 points and 11 rebounds in the loss to UMD.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).