BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University women’s basketball team welcomes in Northern State University Friday, Dec. 7 and Minnesota State University Moorhead Saturday, Dec. 8 in the first full weekend of Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference games. The Beavers and Wolves begin at 5:30 p.m. Friday followed by the Beavers and Dragons at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at BSU Gymnasium.
The Series vs. Northern State
- Northern State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 57-10.
- NSU has won 10 straight games against BSU, dating back to Dec. 14, 2013. BSU’s most recent win came Jan. 26, 2013, a 64-57 decision.
- The Wolves won the most recent meeting, 89-48, Feb. 10, 2018 in Bemidji, Minn.
- Senior forward Emma Rappe averaged a team-best 9.5 points per game last season against NSU. Sophomore guard Brooklyn Bachmann totaled 8.0 points and 6.5 rebounds per game while sophomore guard Sydney Zerr averaged 7.5 points per game.
- The series began Jan. 24, 1986, a 77-74 win by Northern State.
The Series vs. MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 67-39.
- MSUM has won 13 straight games against BSU, dating back to Feb. 11, 2012. BSU’s most recent win came Dec. 2, 2011, a 75-68 victory.
- The Dragons won the most recent meeting, 76-61, Feb. 9, 2018 in Bemidji, Minn.
- Rappe also 9.5 points per game last season against MSUM on 42.9 percent shooting from the field. Bachmann followed with 7.5 points while leading the team with 5.5 rebounds per game versus the Dragons.
- The series began in 1968, a 36-35 win by MSU Moorhead. During the women’s program’s first season in 1967-68, BSU and MSUM played three times. The series is the longest between Bemidji State and any other opponent.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State fell in its last two games to University of Wisconsin-Superior, 58-50, and University of Minnesota Crookston, 70-61.
- Over the week, BSU shot 37.6 percent from the field, 20.6 percent from the 3-point range and 88.9 percent from the free throw line. The Beavers set season highs with 12 steals and five blocks against UW-Superior.
- The Beavers are 2-0 this season when heading into halftime with a lead and 0-3 when trailing.
- Sophomore forward Gabby Dubois recorded her second double-double of the season with 19 points and 11 rebounds versus UMC. She averaged a team-high 14.5 points and 8.0 rebounds per game over the week.
- On the season, sophomore guard Maria Appicelli leads the program with 14.8 points per game after totaling two 20-point games through the non-conference schedule. Prior to this season, Appicelli had not scored more than eight points in a single game. She ranks seventh in the NSIC in scoring average and is shooting 37.3 percent from the field and 28.6 percent from beyond the arc.
- Dubois leads BSU’s rebound attack with 7.6 boards per game. She opened the season with her first career double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds off the bench while following with her double-double performance versus Minnesota Crookston. Dubois ranks ninth in the NSIC in rebounds per game.
Scouting Northern State
- Northern State fell in a defensive battle to MSU Moorhead during its first conference game of the season.
- The Wolves’ defense allowed 32.1 percent shooting from the floor, 7.1 percent from beyond the arc and forced 13 turnovers.
- Brianna Kusler finished the game with nine points, eight rebounds and one assist. Brooke Luitjens finished with six points and two rebounds while Sara Tvedt tied a career-high 13 rebounds.
- The Wolves rank among the tops in the conference in 3-point field goal percentage at 0.333. NSU has also found success on the defensive end of rebounding, allowing 31.2 boards per game to rank second in the league.
Scouting MSU Moorhead
- MSUM opened NSIC play with a 47-39 win over NSU Dec. 1.
- The 39 points allowed by MSUM is a season low and the fewest points allowed since giving up 35 to Upper Iowa University on Feb. 3, 2018.
- Borowicz totaled 12 points and five steals in the NSIC opener versus NSU. Volkert added 11 points and seven rebounds while Hintz scored nine points and a team-high eight rebounds. Freshman forward Peyton Boom totaled five points and three steals.
- Junior forward Megan Hintz is averaging a double-double on the season with 12.0 points and 10.1 rebounds per game. Sophomore guard Kiley Borowicz leads the team with 12.3 points per game and 15 total steals. Senior guard Jacky Volkert leads the squad with 28 assists.
- The Dragons lead the NSIC in rebounds per game with 42.9 and rank fourth with 33.6 rebounds allowed per contest. While ranking in the top half of the conference in defensive field goal percentage and 3-point percentage, MSUM ranks third with 52.4 points allowed per game this season.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).