BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University women’s ice hockey team (1-2-1) continues its eight-game homestand this weekend versus Collegiate Hockey Association member Lindenwood University (0-5-1). Next weekend, the Beavers open up Western Collegiate Hockey Association conference play next weekend as they host the current No. 1 team in the country, University of Minnesota.
About the Beavers:
· Bemidji State dropped a pair of nonconference games last weekend to Robert Morris by scores of 2-1 and 3-0.
· Bemidji State returns to action October 18 and 19 as it continues its eight-game home stand against Lindenwood University.
· After last weekend’s series, Bemidji State’s record at the Sanford Center is 10-22-2.
· BSU is entering this weekend’s action with a 1-2-1 record.
· Bemidji State is 2-0-1 all-time against Lindenwood.
· Against the current members of College Hockey America which includes Lindenwood, the Beavers are 9-13-3 all-time.
· Head Coach Steve Sertich’s nonconference record is currently 17-17-6.
· Brittni Mowat (G, 5-7, Fr., L, Glenboro, Manitoba) has started in between the pipes all four games for BSU. Mowat allowed eight goals in four games. Mowat is 1-2-1 this season with a 1.97 goals against average and a .915 save percentage.
· Senior forward Tess Dusik (F, 6-0, R, Oak Bluff, Manitoba) scored the eighth goal of her career in Friday’s loss to Robert Morris. Dusik’s eight career goals tie her with Kaitlyn Tougas (F, 5-4, So., R, Thunder Bay, Ontario) and Kristin Huber (F, 5-11, Jr., R, Kelowna, British Columbia) for the title of active career goal leader for the Beavers.
· Kaitlyn Tougas leads the Beavers in scoring this season with three points. The sophomore forward has one goal and two assists.
· After struggling on the penalty kill in its first series against Lindenwood allowing three goals, the Beavers did not allow a power play goal in its series against Robert Morris in nine opportunities.
Previewing the Opponent
• Lindenwood University: Lindenwood arrives in Bemidji after going 0-5-1 in its first six games. All six games the Lions have played have been against WCHA schools including two games against the Beavers, Sept. 27-28. In addition to Beavers, LU has played Minnesota State University, Mankato (L, 7-1, 3-1) and University of North Dakota (L, 6-1, 5-1). The Lions are led by Kendra Broad. The junior forward leads LU in points with five (2g, 3a).
Vince O’Mara is in his eleventh season as the Lions’ head coach. During that time, O’Mara has led Lindenwood in its transition into the Division I level. Lindenwood’s first season as a Division I hockey program came during the 2011-12 season. During his first eight years at Lindenwood, O’Mara collected a record of 241-26-11 at the club level. He helped Lindenwood win four American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) National Championships and he earned two ACHA National Coach of the Year honors.
For more information on the Bemidji State men’s hockey program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers or @BSUMHockey), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).