BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University women’s hockey team (7-7-2 overall, 4-5-1 WCHA) will host the Russian National team Nov. 27 at 7:07 p.m. at the Sanford Center in an exhibition contest.
About the Beavers:
• The Bemidji State women’s hockey team earned a split at University of Minnesota Duluth last Nov. 22-23. After losing 3-0 Friday, BSU bounced back with a 1-0 victory over the Bulldogs Saturday.
• Saturday’s victory over UMD was just the fourth ever for the Beavers.
• The Beavers have earned conference points in four straight weekends. It is the first time they have done that since the 2011-12 season.
• With Saturday’s victory over UMD, BSU surpasses its win total from last season with seven.
• Bemidji State’s goaltender Brittni Mowat (Fr., Glenboro, Manitoba) continues to have a stellar freshman campaign has she helped BSU earn a split against UMD. Mowat earned her first shutout in conference action and second overall stopping 38 Bulldog shots. She is 7-6-2 this season.
• Mowat is two wins shy of tying the BSU record for most wins by a freshman goaltender with nine, which was set during the 1999-2000 season by Bre Dedrickson.
• BSU’s sophomore class has accounted for the bulk of the Beavers’ scoring this season. BSU’s eight second-year players have posted 17 goals (52%) and 21 assists (44%) for 38 points, or 46 percent, of the team’s 82 points (33g-49a).
• After finishing last in the WCHA last season on the power play, BSU has outscored its opponents with a man advantage this season 10 to eight.
• Bemidji State leads the WCHA killing 56 opponent power-play opportunities this season.
• The Beavers rank sixth nationally in combined special teams at 56.4%.
• This week BSU will take a week off of WCHA play as it will host the Russian National Team Wednesday in an exhibition contest at the Sanford Center.
• Team Russia will also take on two fellow WCHA schools in preparation for the Olympic games as it will take on UMD and University of North Dakota.
• Bemidji State is 9-2-3 in exhibitions in its history.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).