|December 12, 2014||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
|St. Cloud State||1||0||0||1|
|1||13:37||SCSU||Kelsey Saelens (Molly Illikainen , Emma Turbyville)|
|1||19:10||BSU||Moher, Hanna (Joyce, Alexis , Grenier, Kristine)|
|2||01:03||BSU||Huber, Kristin (Grenier, Kristine , Moher, Hanna)|
|3||00:26||BSU||Bilic, Ivana (Tougas, Kaitlyn )|
|3||12:16||BSU||Hutchinson, Madison (Moher, Hanna , Grenier, Kristine)|
|Shots on Goal||29||29|
ST. CLOUD, Minn. (Herb Brooks National Hockey Center) — Hanna Moher and Kristine Grenier each tallied three points as the Bemidji State University women’s hockey team defeated St. Cloud State University, 4-1 Friday evening at Herb Brooks National Hockey Center. The victory is BSU’s eighth in the last nine games (8-1-0).
St. Cloud State got the scoring started at the 13:37 mark of the first period with a goal by Kelsey Saelens to give the Huskies the first lead of the contest. The goal was also just the fifth time in 20 games this season that SCSU has scored the first goal of a contest.
Moher answered with 50 seconds remaining in the stanza as she took advantage of a scrum around SCSU goaltender Julie Friend to knot the score at one heading into the first intermission.
Junior Kristin Huber gave the Beavers a 2-1 lead at the 1:03 mark in the second period when her backhanded shot beat Friend.
The score would remain 2-1 until the Beavers added a pair in the third period. The first came at the 26-second mark by Ivana Bilic and the second by fellow defenseman Madison Hutchinson at 12:16 to seal a 4-1 Beavers’ victory.
Goaltender Brittni Mowat stopped all but one of the 29 shots she faced in the contest to earn her ninth win of the season. Mowat improves to 9-3-1 with the victory.
Notes on Bemidji State
- With the victory, Bemidji State matched its win total from all of last season (11).
- BSU is 8-1-0 in its last nine games, which is the best nine-game stretch in program history.
- Grenier tallied three assists on BSU’s three goals, which is the second-most in program history in a road game. The three-point game is also the first of Grenier’s career.
- Moher’s three-point performance was also the first of her career and second multi-assist game of her career. Moher also had a pair of assists against University of Vermont earlier this season.
- If Bemidji State defeats St. Cloud State again tomorrow, it will set a new program record for the most sweeps in a season (five).
Next up: The Beavers, now 11-5-1 overall and 7-5-1 in Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) play, wrap up their series with St. Cloud State tomorrow. The series finale will get underway at 3:07 p.m.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).