|January 10, 2015||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
|2||08:48||UMD||Zoe Hickel (Ashleigh Brykaliuk , Lara Stalder)|
|2||12:10||BSU||Tougas, Kaitlyn (Bilic, Ivana )|
|2||15:57||BSU||Huber, Kristin (Joyce, Alexis , Miller, Lauren)|
|3||16:51||BSU||Anderson, Stephanie (Tougas, Kaitlyn , Hutchinson, Madison)|
|Shots on Goal||25||38|
DULUTH, Minn. (AMSOIL Arena) — The Bemidji State University women’s hockey team defeated No. 7 University of Minnesota Duluth, 4-1 in Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) action Saturday afternoon at AMSOIL Arena. The victory moves Bemidji State’s record to 13-9-1 overall and 8-8-1 in league play this season. The 13 victories are the fourth-most by BSU in a single season in program history.
Minnesota Duluth had the edge in shots on goal (12-7) in the first stanza, but it was the Beavers that found the back of the net first as Whitney Wivoda netted her fourth of the season with 29 seconds remaining to give her team an 1-0 advantage.
Heading into the second period with a one-goal deficit, the Bulldogs tied the score at 1-1 with a goal by Zoe Hickel at the eight minute, forty-eight second mark. The goal snapped a 118-minute shutout streak for the Beavers.
Following Hickel’s goal, Bemidji State answered with a pair of goals to regain the lead. Kaitlyn Tougas scored her seventh of the season at 12:10, which was followed 4:47 later with a power-play goal by Kristin Huber to give the Beavers a 3-1 lead going into the third period.
The Beavers tacked on another goal at the 16:51 mark from Stephanie Anderson to seal the victory for Bemidji State. It was Anderson’s sixth goal of the season, which establishes a new career-high.
Goaltender Brittni Mowat made 37 saves en route to her 11th win of the season to move her record to 11-6-1. It is the 11th time in 17 starts this season that Mowat has allowed zero or one goals.
Notes on Bemidji State
- With the goal in the first period, Wivoda scored her second goal in as many games. It is the first time in her career that Wivoda has accomplished that feat.
- On the goal by Kaitlyn Tougas, Ivana Bilic tallied her 11th assist of the season and 22nd of her career. Bilic’s 22 helpers are the fifth-most by defenseman in program history.
- Huber netted her fifth goal of the season, which ties her career-high in goals for a season. Huber also had five goals in her freshman campaign (2011-12).
- Bemidji State improves to 6-60-2 all-time versus UMD with the win. BSU has defeated Minnesota Duluth in two of the last three games played in Duluth, Minn.
- The Beavers will have the chance to sweep the Bulldogs for the second time this season. BSU has never swept UMD.
Next up: The Beavers and Bulldogs will conclude their series tomorrow afternoon. Puck drops at 3:07 p.m. from AMSOIL Arena.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).