The first match of the weekend pitted the Beavers against the Cougars. BSU came into the match having won its last match and looked to continue its winning ways as it took five out of the nine individual matches for a 5-4 victory over Minnesota-Morris.
The Cougars’ Jen Homlund and Jennifer Ordos took the first doubles match as they beat the Bemidji State team of Thea Kinney and Holly Gilbertson, 8-3 to give the Cougars the early 1-0 lead. The Beavers would come back to take the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches. BSU’s Angie Harrison and Nikki Baird defeated Jenny Anderson and Lisa Jordan of UMM 8-3 and Kelly Kuntz and Sherry Kuzel took the third doubles match over Sarah Simpson and Rachel Mathiowetz 8-3.
The Cougars battled back in the match to take a 3-2 lead after winning the first two singles matches. Ordos defeated BSU’s Kinney 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 1 singles match and Anderson of UMM was victorious over Kuzel in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2 singles. Bemidji State’s Baird needed a third set to take the No. 3 singles match over Homlund 6-2, 2-6, 6-2. Kelly Gorres put the Cougars back on top in the match with a No. 4 singles victory over BSU’s Gilbertson 6-3, 6-2. But BSU would close out the match with victories at the No. 5 spot as Kuntz beat Jordan 6-2, 6-3 and Harrison beat UMM’s Simpson 6-2, 6-2 in No. 6 singles action to close out the match and secure the second win of the season for Bemidji State.
Sarah Longtin was also in action for Bemidji State. In her exhibition match versus Kristina Bell, she won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2.
As the Beavers continued the weekend, they hit the road to meet Winona State. The defending NSIC champion Warriors were victorious in the match 9-0.
Winona State came out and took all three of the doubles matches to get out to a 3-0 lead over BSU.
The team of Karen Darveaux and Brea Bruggeman got the Warriors out of the gates with a win in the No. 1 doubles match as they defeated Thea Kinney and Holly Gilbertson 8-0. Karyl Schenck and Megan Newbauer took the No. 2 doubles match over BSU’s Sherry Kuzel and Nikki Baird 8-3. In the No. 3 doubles match, Angie Harrison and Kelly Kuntz were defeated by the Warriors Jennifer Wunsch and Lindsey Cadwell 5-8.
In singles action, Darveaux continued the Warriors winning ways as she took the No. 1 singles match over Thea Kinney 6-1, 6-1. Schenck defeated Kuzel in No. 2 singles 6-0, 6-0. The No. 3 singles match belonged to Brea Bruggeman as she defeated the Beavers’ Nikki Baird 6-1, 6-2. Winona’s Newbauer was victorious over Gilbertson 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4 singles. Wunsch defeated Bemidji State’s Kuntz in the No. 5 spot, 6-0, 6-1. Katie Katterheinrich completed the sweep of the Beavers as she beat Harrison in the No. 6 singles match 6-2, 6-1.
Bemidji State University vs. University of Minnesota-Morris
1. Jennifer Ordos (UMM) def. Thea Kinney (BSU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Jenny Anderson (UMM) def. Sherry Kuzel (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nikki Baird (BSU) def. Jen Homlund (UMM) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Kelly Gorres (UMM) def. Holly Gilbertson (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kelly Kuntz (BSU) def. Lisa Jordan (UMM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Angie Harrison (BSU) def. Sarah Simpson (UMM) 6-2, 6-2
Ex. Sarah Longtin (BSU) def Kristina Bell (UMM) 6-3, 6-2
1. Homlund/Ordos (UMM) def. Kinney/Gilbertson (BSU) 8-3
2. Baird/Harrison (BSU) def. Anderson/Jordan (BSU) 8-3
3. Kuntz/Kuzel (BSU) def. Simpson/Mathiowetz (UMM) 8-3
Bemidji State University vs. Winona State University
St. Cloud, Minn.
1. Karen Darveaux (WSU) def. Thea Kinney (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Karyl Schenck (WSU) def. Sherry Kuzel (BSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Brea Bruggeman (WSU) def. Nikki Baird (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Megan Newbauer (WSU) def. Holly Gilbertson (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jennifer Wunsch (WSU) def. Kelly Kuntz (BSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Katie Katterheinrich (WSU) def. Angie Harrison (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Darveaux/Bruggeman (WSU) def. Kinney/Gilbertson (BSU) 8-0
2. Schenck/Newbauer (WSU) def. Kuzel/Baird (BSU) 8-3
3. Wunsch/Cadwell (WSU) def. Harrison/Kuntz (BSU) 8-5